Signup
Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
Vista Permission

Author Post
justsky
Thu 02 Oct 2008 - 07:07
Registered Member #12361

I have the misfortune of having to run Vista now. I have discovered (as I am sure you already know) that Vista will not run any winPenPack app without administrator permission. I am sure this is addressed in the forum at large but I could not find anything in the english forum. It appears that Vista is seeing the fake registry edits as real registry edits and complains. This pretty much makes the winPenPack environment unusable. Any advice you can give will be welcome. Thanks.
ZioZione
Thu 02 Oct 2008 - 10:29

Registered Member #74
Hi justsky,
this has already been addresses (unfortunately only in Italian forum... sorry...).
I don't already use Vista, but it should be enough to execute "winPenPack.exe" through the contextual menu option "Run as administrator". From that point on, all shoud work as usual.
Hope this helps...
Best Regards
ZioZione
icemax
Fri 03 Oct 2008 - 08:11

Registered Member #194
English • :

How to activate/unhide Administrator account in Win Vista :

Download my script :
01._enable_admin.zip

1 - Run SET_ADMIN.REG
2 - Run as Administrator (through its contextual menu option) ENABLE_ADMIN.BAT
3 - The system will automatically reboot. When the system restarts, Administrator account will be visible
4 - You can run Winpenpack with Administrator account

bye

Abilitare l'account Administrator in Vista (Activate/unhide Administrator Vista account)

Italiano • :

scaricate il file in allegato :

01._enable_admin.zip

1. Eseguire il file di registro "SET_ADMIN.REG" facendo doppio click sullo stesso;
2. Eseguire il file "ENABLE_ADMIN.BAT" come Amministratore del sistema, facendo click col tasto destro su di esso e scegliendo l'opzione "Run as administrator";
3. Il sistema verrà riavviato in automatico e l'account "Administrator" sarà attivo dopo il riavvio.
Esegute winpenpack con l'account amministratore

ciao

EDITED BY ZioZione

[ Edited Fri 03 Oct 2008 - 09:06 ]
justsky
Sat 18 Oct 2008 - 23:37
Registered Member #12361
Please take this in the spirit in which is given, namely someone who respects your work and hopes for your success.

It is in this sprit that I say, you will not survive unless you solve the problem with permissions in Vista. I am no fan of Vista but I recognize that the security constraints in Vista will be the new baseline and a successor to Vista will be at least as restrictive and probably even more so. In the long run nobody will tolerate 1) a requirement to authenticate at each menu start-up and then use nothing outside your launcher, 2) respond to numerous registry change authorizations both at startup and shutdown for most applications, or 3) manually set 'run as administrator' on each x-whatever.exe then authenticate each time.

I hoped this this might be part of the new launcher but alas, no. Since I am not telling you anything you don't already know I hope you have some strategy in your pocket to fix this someday. Perhaps your approach makes it unfixable. I hope not.
ZioZione
Sun 19 Oct 2008 - 12:33

Registered Member #74
justsky wrote ...

Please take this in the spirit in which is given, namely someone who respects your work and hopes for your success.

It is in this sprit that I say, you will not survive unless you solve the problem with permissions in Vista. I am no fan of Vista but I recognize that the security constraints in Vista will be the new baseline and a successor to Vista will be at least as restrictive and probably even more so. In the long run nobody will tolerate 1) a requirement to authenticate at each menu start-up and then use nothing outside your launcher, 2) respond to numerous registry change authorizations both at startup and shutdown for most applications, or 3) manually set 'run as administrator' on each x-whatever.exe then authenticate each time.

I hoped this this might be part of the new launcher but alas, no. Since I am not telling you anything you don't already know I hope you have some strategy in your pocket to fix this someday. Perhaps your approach makes it unfixable. I hope not.

Hi justsky,
what you are asking is on our "todo list", but, at this moment, we must to deal with these limitations. Me, and most of wPP Team members, already (must) use (mainly at work) Windows XP machines, because Vista is too heavy for any development environment. And, at home, the situation is similar.
I perfectly understand your disappointment, but Vista limitates too much any strategy to create a launcher that act as administrator, writing into registry and user folders, without any OS alert (maybe just a malicious software could do this...). Simply, Vista has been created exactly for avoid such programs to make their work... Also, each user could create its environment (i.e. disable or not UAC, limit some operations, etc.) so we could deal also with these various (and incompatible) situations.
Think also that next year Microsoft will exit with Windows Seven... Who knows what (other?) limitations it will carry... That we could to restart from scratch...
Surely we will do our best to search for (indeed, finding) a solution, but I fear that this will not be quick and/or easy to perform. In any case, as usual, we will try...
Best Regards
ZioZione
lenticular
Sun 09 Nov 2008 - 21:23
Registered Member #15000
The attached file is a tiny thing but works well, I put it in the menu folder then set it as the program and the actual program is in the parameters line. The same line is needed in the icon option in order to get to real program icon.
elevate.exe
justsky
Mon 10 Nov 2008 - 06:11
Registered Member #12361
Thanks, it works nicely except for the command window that opens but it's not a big thing since it closes right away. Great tip.
ZioZione
Mon 10 Nov 2008 - 08:57

Registered Member #74
lenticular wrote ...

The attached file is a tiny thing but works well, I put it in the menu folder then set it as the program and the actual program is in the parameters line. The same line is needed in the icon option in order to get to real program icon.
elevate.exe

Hi lenticular,
thank you for your suggestion!
Could you please attach (or also write in a new post) more informations about this program (author, website, command line parameters, etc.)? It seems to me very intuitive, but for other users is better to explicitly everything.
Also, the real best could be if you write a submission post, following this HowTo: -Link-
Best Regards
ZioZione
lenticular
Mon 10 Nov 2008 - 11:03
Registered Member #15000
Hello,

I don't want to violate any protocol but I honestly don't remember where I got the program. The file properties mention Wintellect but that seems to be a training firm of some kind. If I knew more I would surely tell you. Sorry.
rbon
Mon 10 Nov 2008 - 17:39
Registered Member #4134
@ZioZione,
You can find the utility 'elevate' at John Robbin's Blog -Link- , article 'Elevate a process at the command line in Vista'.
Here is the syntax of this utility:
Execute a process on the command line with elevated rights on Vista

Usage: Elevate [-?|-wait|-k] prog [args]
-? - Shows this help
-wait - Waits until prog terminates
-k - Starts the the %comspec% environment variable value and
executes prog in it (CMD.EXE, 4NT.EXE, etc.)
prog - The program to execute
args - Optional command line arguments to prog

Note that because the way ShellExecute works, Elevate cannot set the
current directory for prog. Consequently, relative paths as args will
probably not work.

As you can see, Elevate works with %COMSPEC% so my beloved 4NT works as well. Down load the source from here.

The magic that Elevete uses? Passing "runas" as the verb to ShellExecute.

and You can find useful info at 'Vista UAC - The Definitive Guide' -Link-
Best Regards
rbon

Elevate with source code
elevate.zip

Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF