Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
WengoPhone/QuteCom

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
justsky
Sat 29 Nov 2008 - 22:35
Registered Member #12361

Since WengoPhone is dead will you be supporting the open source QuteCom project that has replaced it?

[ Edited Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 13:04 ]
Danix
Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 00:12

Registered Member #1
Yes, but it has been released a stable version of QuteCom?
The last that I tried was the rc1 (unstable).

----edit----

I have seen the rc2 has been released.
You did a log with regshot?

[ Edited Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 00:14 ]
Website
justsky
Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 00:28
Registered Member #12361
I have been using rc2 and it seems quite stable. I run Vista and the regshot output is massive and mostly meaningless. Someone with XP needs to put in a regshot log. I wish I had a copy of XP to test with but like it or not (and I don't like it) XP is history. Oh well, time marches on.
Danix
Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 02:33

Registered Member #1
This is a first version of launcher for QuteCom.
Please note that I have not tested the configuration account, because I do not have one, but only the basic options (config files and AppData files) and registry entries. I need help for testing the portability related to the configuration of account, default folders (if exist), etc..

x-qutecom_launcher_1.3_rev1.zip
Website
justsky
Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 03:20
Registered Member #12361
I have tested the launcher against a Linux Asterisk server and it work works famously. One disappointment is that it won't run in Linux Wine like WengoPhone did but that isn't your fault since the non winpenpack qutecom doesn't work either. They have changed something in the app itself. I am trying to contact them about this. I will keep you advised. Fantastic work!
Danix
Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 13:09

Registered Member #1
Thank you, justsky.
Please, let us known if you find portability troubles with your account configuration.

@ per gli utenti italiani: test richiesto sulla portabilità del programma, DOPO AVER CONFIGURATO UN ACCOUNT.

Aggiunto al database: -Link-

[ Edited Tue 02 Dec 2008 - 13:10 ]
Website
Chascon
Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 23:04
Registered Member #18391
I'm trying to download X-QuteComm 2.2-rc3 and I keep on getting

"Sorry, downloads are available only from related download pages.
Read more..
Go to the Download section"

And so I go to the download section find the right Telephony section, only one has X-QuteComm 2.2-rc3, to get the same error message.

So what's up with this?
PortableUmbo
Thu 19 Mar 2009 - 23:28

Registered Member #2511
to winPenPack, Chascon.

Please, could you explain in more detail which steps are you following to obtain that message?

I set English language, then went to the X-QuteComm page -Link- , pressed the big "download" button on the right and I obtained the usual message about download limits.
Pressed OK and download began.

Is it possible that you already reached the daily limit for your downloads?

Regarding the organization of the Download section, you find two sections named "X-Softwares" and "Portable Softwares", because portable programs are divided as follows:
  • Portable Softwares are programs natively portable.
  • X-Softwares are programs not natively portable, so they need a launcher (the X-Launcher) to gain true portability.

Inside each group, the categories are the same, but the contents (that is, the programs) are obviously different.

BTW, I also read your comments in the X-QuteComm page, and it's surprising how much they sound irrespectful of the hard work made by a Team that is totally volunteer and totally committed to the success of this project.
And all of this, after less than 15 minutes as a registered user?
Just my 2 cents
Chascon
Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 00:20
Registered Member #18391
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, if anything it's a mix of anticipation and frustration. And no, my comments should not be taken to reflect upon the coders, not at all. If they can pull a portable version of QuteCom, then I can see how this would advance the Libre software agenda against Skype and other closed source competitors, because they don't have portable releases --at least not officially and even then they are iffy and require more know how than a regular user is willing to or can do.

As for reaching my download limit, I haven't downloaded anything in the 15 minutes I've been a member. As for what I'm doing to get the error message, I'm pressing the peripheral image on the top right of the project page. [And yes it does now say that reached my download limit and I still haven't downloaded anything].

Now I don't mean to be argumentative but just to explain myself ...

I find the distinctions between portable and not truly portable sort of confusing because to port something is to compile and build it (a process and an end product), and I assume both sections have software that have been ported to Windows OSes (I could be wrong). ie., I ported (compiled) a port (build).

In a second definition, the word port refers to an arch specific build of a software (similar to above), the final product can be called an arch specific port. ie., I ported (compiled) an __OS X__ port (build).

In another, port refers to OS specific distribution.

Of course, I think I __usually__ understand what you mean, it's just not convention to use port in that fashion.

Now factor in the fact that this site obviously uses the term "portable" to refer to the capability to pick and go from one computer to another, because these apps run on pen drives, and you say some apps are not really portable ... well you see how at some point one has to rethink all these terms? At this point, I really don't know what you mean by not "really portable" or "not really ported", and I don't think I should have to go through a learning curve, when there are well established conventions.

[ Edited Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 12:42 ]
Chascon
Fri 20 Mar 2009 - 00:21
Registered Member #18391
Oh, thanks for your welcome and quick response.

Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF