Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
X-Cafe doesn't work with file manager

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
dropper
Sat 06 Aug 2011 - 12:56

Registered Member #39636

While the use of FreeCommander Portable I have found that despite activation of X-Cafe when double-click a file the previous program was used on host computer. The same negative result I found when using Total Commander. Insofar, X-cafe seems in dealing with file managers to have problems.
ZioZione
Sun 07 Aug 2011 - 16:31

Registered Member #74
Hi dropper,
"fortunately", what you write is not true
If you take a look at this -Link- post (only in italian, sorry), you can see that C.A.F.E. (and so also X-Cafe) can be instructed to intercept also the double-click from within some file managers. What follows is the translation of the relevant informations.
It is enough to edit the cafe.ini file (that can be found in the \Bin\Cafe folder), adding, in the [configuration] section, the following line

fenetresadditionnelles=ahk_class TfcForm, ahk_class TTntFormUltraExplorer.UnicodeClass, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD

where

"ahk_class TfcForm" is the FreeCommander handle
"ahk_class TTntFormUltraExplorer.UnicodeClass" is the UltraExplorer handle
"ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD" is the Total Commander handle

Please keep in mind that enabling this behavior could slow down the normal operativity of your file managers (surely those related with the double click).
Try and let us know if this fixes your problem.
Best Regards
ZioZione

P.S. By the way, have you tried our new menu -Link- ? It has embedded also all the X-Cafe features!
dropper
Sun 07 Aug 2011 - 20:36

Registered Member #39636
Hi ZioZione,

thank you for the swift reply. Because of your tip I could solve my problem. However, I had to go to the winPenPack\User\cafe\2gb_3.6 folder in order to open the file cafe.ini.

If I open the cafe.ini file in the winPenPack\Bin\cafe folder and add an appropriate line in the [configuration] section, this line will be deleted after a restart of winPenPack menu again.

Yes I also have tried the new winPenPack Net Menù 2.6.64 Beta 2. However, I could not locate all the embedded X-Cafe features. In the winPenPack Menu User Guide - Page 1 I found out, that at the end of the installation in the Windows system tray two new icons will appear, the first flash-drive-shaped and the second a green "check sign". In my case is only the flash-drive-shaped icon appeared. The reason is probably that I've just installed the pure menu. Instead, I should have to install one of the winPenPack suites (winPenPack Essential, winPenPack Full, winPenPack Personal). Probably appears only in this case in the menu window the entry "File associations" and the green "check sign" icon in the system tray.

Can you give me more detailed information about this topic? Thank you for your efforts.

Best regards
dropper

[ Edited Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 01:14 ]
ZioZione
Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 08:41

Registered Member #74
Hi dropper,
dropper wrote ...

Hi ZioZione,

thank you for the swift reply. Because of your tip I could solve my problem. However, I had to go to the winPenPack\User\cafe\2gb_3.6 folder in order to open the file cafe.ini.

If I open the cafe.ini file in the winPenPack\Bin\cafe folder and add an appropriate line in the [configuration] section, this line will be deleted after a restart of winPenPack menu again.

sorry, my mistake, you are right... For performing the complete trick, also the \User\Cafe .ini file should be edited...

dropper wrote ...

Yes I also have tried the new winPenPack Net Menù 2.6.64 Beta 2. However, I could not locate all the embedded X-Cafe features. In the winPenPack Menu User Guide - Page 1 I found out, that at the end of the installation in the Windows system tray two new icons will appear, the first flash-drive-shaped and the second a green "check sign". In my case is only the flash-drive-shaped icon appeared. The reason is probably that I've just installed the pure menu. Instead, I should have to install one of the winPenPack suites (winPenPack Essential, winPenPack Full, winPenPack Personal). Probably appears only in this case in the menu window the entry "File associations" and the green "check sign" icon in the system tray.

Can you give me more detailed information about this topic? Thank you for your efforts.

Best regards
dropper

The new winPenPackNet menu is still in beta stage, so the documentation has not been already updated, and still refers to the old menu. The green "check sign" is the X-Cafe icon, and is present only in the complete suites.
Anyway, to add File Associations to the new .Net Menu is quite simple... First of all, keep in mind that the association is performed starting from the application, and not from the file.
Then, let's say that, for example, we want to associate all .txt files with X-Notepad++ contained in our suite (or, more generally, "installed" into our .Net Menu).
From the Configuration window (click the tray icon, then select Configuration) you can edit all the program properties of X-Notepad. So, expand the menu tree until you find X-Notepad (or, from the "Search" tab, write "X-Not" ), right click on the X-Notepad and select Properties (or select X-Notepad and click F5).
This opens the Properties window; a quick read of the tabs drives you to what you need: click the "File Association" tab; for adding an association is enough to write ".txt" in the textbox field and click "Associate" button. As an alternative, if you already have your preferred extensions defined into X-Cafe, you can press the "Import CAFE" button. That's all... Please note that with this new file associations technology, if you receive a txt file as a mail attachment and said to Thunderbird to open it, this action will be performed with X-Notepad++ (Cafe, and X-Cafe, cannot do this...).
If, after some test, you (surely!!!) decide to import all the X-Cafe extensions into the .Net Menu, you can try the following instructions.

In the \Bin\cafe\cafe.ini (and \User\cafe\cafe.ini, as seen above), you can find, either under [associations] and under [alternative] a lot of rows of two main types

pdf=..\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe

for native portable programs, and

txt=..\..\XDrive\X-Notepad++.exe

for the X-Software

Into winPenPack\User\winpenpack_launcher\winpenpack.ini file, the same associations appear as

pdf=winPenPack\Bin\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe

and

txt=winpenpack\XDrive\X-Notepad++.exe

Then is enough to edit the winpenpack.ini file (after 100 backups!!! ) and to paste associations and alternatives under the respective sections (named "Associations" and "alternative"). As a further precaution, select only the interesting rows and then perform following "search and replace (in selection)" commands:

Search: "=..\..\XDrive" --> substitute with: "=winpenpack\XDrive"
Search: "=..\" --> substitute with: "=winPenPack\Bin\"

Try and let us know if all works well.

Best Regards
ZioZione
dropper
Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 16:13

Registered Member #39636
Hi ZioZione,

thanks again for the immediate and profound response. Meanwhile, I have installed the winPenPack Full suite on my hard disc drive. The way you described for creating a file association has worked well. However, the file association with PDF files has not worked. I've tried both the program SumatraPDF and the program PDF-XChange Viewer. Instead, the Adobe Reader X installed on my host computer has started.

However, in my case the "Import CAFE" button was disabled. Surely this is associated with the fact, that I'm not installed X-Cafe 4.0 [rev3] in the "winPenPack Full" suite. But why do I need the program X-Cafe 4.0, if I already have in the winPenPack Full suite the possibility of producing a file association? One reason would probably be, that I only achieved with X-Cafe the file association within file managers. Another reason would surely, that I have in X-Cafe a variety of pre-defined file associations, which I could integrate over the "Import CAFE" button elegantly. Are my assumptions correct so far?

Unfortunately seems the winPenPack Upgrade Manager to be faulty. Although I have updated several applications (X-Firefox, X-ClamWin, SumatraPDF, JPEGView etc.), shows me the Upgrade Manager, that I still have the old version.

Finally, I would like to know, how I can upgrade the winPenPackNet menu? Because after every start of the "winPenPack Full" suite will displayed in a dialog window, that an update of winPenPackNet menu is available.

Best regards
dropper

[ Edited Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 16:53 ]
LordJim60
Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 16:41

Registered Member #33962
dropper wrote ...

Finally, I would like to know, how I can upgrade the winPenPackNet menu? Because after every start of the "winPenPack Full" suite will displayed in a dialog window, that an update of winPenPackNet menu is available.

it seems me that's enough to click in the window popup that shows the message to open the browser at the relative download web page.
dropper
Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 17:01

Registered Member #39636
Hi LordJim60,

that is so far clear. But how must I install the downloaded file "wpp_menu_net_2.6.64-beta-2.zip" in the "winPenPack Full" suite? Is that the same procedure as for the installation of native portable programs?

Best regards
dropper

[ Edited Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 17:11 ]
LordJim60
Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 18:34

Registered Member #33962
Hi dropper,
if you already have a previous version of the winPenPackNet menù, it is enough to replace the file "winPenPackNet.exe".

let me know.

Best Regards
LordJim60

dropper
Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 18:47

Registered Member #39636
Hi LordJim60,

your tip to replace the file "winPenPackNet.exe" is the solution.

I had described in my last message a few more problems. Have you also an answer for them? For example the problem with the Upgrade Manager. It seems to be a bug.

Also, a file association for PDF files is impossible with the above described method by ZioZione. Only with an installed X-Cafe program it works.

Best regards
dropper

[ Edited Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 19:03 ]
LordJim60
Mon 08 Aug 2011 - 23:12

Registered Member #33962
About the pdf problem:
1) Have you created the association through the interface, or have you edited the winpenpack.ini file?
2) The problem appear with FreeCommander (& co) only, or also with Windows Explorer?
3) Have you, by chance, the file "winPenPack\Bin\cafe\cafe.ini" with some reference to the files pdf?

About the Upgrade Manager:
Try to use the "strong relation" beetween the application and the web page, to do this go to the program properties windows (F5), select tab "Info" and edit the field "download page" typing the full URL of the product.
i.e. for X-Firefox 5 use: "http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1316"

Sorry for my telegraphic style, but it is a little bit hard for me to write in English.

Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF