Signup
Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
Update from winPenPack Full v4.0 beta2 to winPenPack Full v4.1

Author Post
dropper
Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 19:40

Registered Member #39636

The winPenPack Team offers a new version winPenPack Full v4.1, which I like to use. So far I use the version winPenPack v4.0 Full beta2. Unfortunately, in the instructions winPenPack - User Guide no explanation concerning the section "How to update winPenPack". Is there a way of an update, at which my previous settings and my added portable programs are retained?
Taf
Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 22:23

Registered Member #251
Hi dropper,
If you already have a fully functional version of winPenPack v4.0 Full beta2, with all programs already updated, the switching to 4.1 is quite easy, without losing any data and existing personalization.
The easiest way (IMHO) is the following:
You need only to download the "winPenPack Net menu" from here: -Link-
after this, please be sure to have your wpp4.0 full suite (and all related programs) closed, then you can substitute the file "winPenPackNet.exe" present in the root of your V4.0beta, with the new one present in the downloaded "winPenPack Net Menu 2.6.64".

That's it!
old file is 1,29 MB (1.363.456 byte) - dated 27-04-2011
new file is 1,29 MB (1.362.432 byte) - dated 02-05-2011
in this case, in your wpp configuration panel You'll still see written "winPenPack Essential v4.0" but, if you check the "ABOUT" box you'll read "winPenPack Launcher Version: 2.6.64.2290" instead of "2.6.63.2289" (the original one of wPP4.0Beta 4)

If in the recent past You have updated the "winPenPackNet.exe" file with the one present in wPP Personal DL, You already have a fully functional 4.1

Second choice:
you can start with the "clean" version of the whole "winPenPack Full v4.1" (previously downloaded). after this, being sure to have all programs closed you can copy in the new installation path all your previous "USER" folder and his sub folders (all your data and personalizations are there).
then you can run again wPP.
But, be careful in this case! If in your previous suite you have added or eliminate some programs, all modifications on these programs will not be present in the "clean" start-up.

anyway in both cases please make a recovery copy of your current USER data! Probably it should not be necessary, but "never say never"

I hope this post would be clear enough, anyway if you have problems don't hesitate to contact us again.

[ Edited Tue 13 Sep 2011 - 22:25 ]
dropper
Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 00:46

Registered Member #39636
  1. Remarks to your first variant

I've actually updated the file winPenPackNet.exe some time ago. Accordingly will displayed at the tab "About" of the configuration menu the following: winPenPack Launcher Version: 2.6.64.2290. So I already have a functioning "winPenPack Full v4.1 suite", although still appear in the configuration menu the entry "winPenPack Full v4.0".

2. Remarks to your second variant

I think that this variant isn't be recommended for several reasons.

Taf wrote ...

But, be careful in this case! If in your previous suite you have added or eliminate some programs, all modifications on these programs will not be present in the "clean" start-up.

In fact I've added in the previous winPenPeck Full v4.0 beta2 suite some native portable programs (eG PDF-XChange Viewer). I have also been set for the program PDF-XChange Viewer a file association for PDF documents in this previous suite. Accordingly I must realize a variety of changes in the new winPenPack Full v4.1 suite. In this respect it would not be enough to copy the folder "User" from the old suite to the new suite. Instead I must copy all folders (Backup, Bin, Lib, User, XDrive). And finally I must change all the other individual settings like the file associations etc. This variant is therefore too expensive.

Personally, I would appreciate it if in the future exists the possibility of updates for the suites (Essential and Full) like for the X-Software.

[ Edited Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 01:08 ]
Taf
Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 08:32

Registered Member #251
dropper wrote ...

Remarks to your first variant

I've actually updated the file winPenPackNet.exe some time ago. Accordingly will displayed at the tab "About" of the configuration menu the following: winPenPack Launcher Version: 2.6.64.2290. So I already have a functioning "winPenPack Full v4.1 suite", although still appear in the configuration menu the entry "winPenPack Full v4.0".

Great! So You already have last version of x-launcher for the suite. If You have also updated all proggies in it, you are 100% OK!

dropper wrote ...
Remarks to your second variant

I think that this variant isn't be recommended for several reasons.
Taf wrote ...

In fact I've added in the previous winPenPeck Full v4.0 beta2 suite some native portable programs (eG PDF-XChange Viewer). I have also been set for the program PDF-XChange Viewer a file association for PDF documents in this previous suite. Accordingly I must realize a variety of changes in the new winPenPack Full v4.1 suite. In this respect it would not be enough to copy the folder "User" from the old suite to the new suite. Instead I must copy all folders (Backup, Bin, Lib, User, XDrive). And finally I must change all the other individual settings like the file associations etc. This variant is therefore too expensive.

I'm agree with You. This is only an alternative suggestion for people wihtout high personalization needs.
Anyway, can be a "second change"

dropper wrote ...

Personally, I would appreciate it if in the future exists the possibility of updates for the suites (Essential and Full) like for the X-Software.

We keep in mind this suggestion for the future! Many Thanks Dropper

[ Edited Wed 14 Sep 2011 - 08:35 ]

Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF