Signup
Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
Question regarding licensing of Freeware

Author Post
dropper
Tue 07 Feb 2012 - 12:02

Registered Member #39636

Due to licensing reasons it's only allowed, that X-Software will be offered from Open Source programs. For further discussion I have selected the program Mp3tag, which is freeware but not open source software. I have detected, that on this website I can download a separate Launcher for the Freeware Mp3tag. There is further described, how can I implement the program Mp3tag in this launcher.

For my understanding also in this case will be offered a portable version of Mp3tag. Does that not violate the license, that Mp3tag is freeware only? Or where is the main difference in respect to ordinary X-Software (e.g. X-Avidemux), if offered as described above as a portable version for Mp3tag?
Danix
Tue 07 Feb 2012 - 12:20

Registered Member #1
dropper wrote ...

For my understanding also in this case will be offered a portable version of Mp3tag. Does that not violate the license, that Mp3tag is freeware only? Or where is the main difference in respect to ordinary X-Software (e.g. X-Avidemux), if offered as described above as a portable version for Mp3tag?

The main difference is that we do not distribute the complete X-Software that includes Mp3tag, but only the launcher without the original program. In this case, as we always do in cases of Freeware, we also asked the author for permission to distribute the launcher. He has given us permission as long as it works with the unmodified installer downloaded from the original site.
Website
dropper
Tue 07 Feb 2012 - 12:29

Registered Member #39636
But if it's necessary to get a permission for this launcher, why you not immediatly offer this program as usual as X-Mp3tag?
Danix
Tue 07 Feb 2012 - 12:38

Registered Member #1
We obviously have proposed it to the author, but he did not agree. As I already said, he has given us permission only to distribute a separate launcher that works with the unmodified program downloaded from his site.

[ Edited Tue 07 Feb 2012 - 12:39 ]
Website
dropper
Tue 07 Feb 2012 - 12:49

Registered Member #39636
Ok I understand. Accordingly it could happen, that is modified the program Mp3tag during the development of an usual version like X-Mp3tag.

Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF