Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
X-Thunderbird on CD?

Author Post
DiscoMakberto
Fri 15 Aug 2014 - 14:25
Registered Member #41794

Hello, e-folks!

Please let me ask you, is it possible to have X-Thunderbird (already populated with e-mails) on CD (or any other optical media) and run it from there so that I am able to read e-mails from the CD directly? I have about 2GB something (or perhaps more) of e-mails, but my system is only 500MB of RAM. As the Portable Apps version of Thunderbird on CD sends everything to TEMP, I cannot use it (obviously because I would need more than 2GB of RAM). Hence, I am hoping that the X-Thunderbird version can run straight from CD.

Cheers,

Carlos Albert
DiscoMakberto
Taf
Sat 16 Aug 2014 - 18:47

Registered Member #251
Hy DiscoMakberto,

No, our X-Thunderbird is not able to run directly from a non writeable support. This because as any other mail client it needs to write and read new data related to new mail you send receive.
the only "workaroud" i can suggest is to run X-Thunderbird directly fron a USB derive and not from a CD/DVD.
In this case you are able to write your data directly on the USB. In fact our X-THB portable writes everything directly iìun USB support.
I hope this answer can help you to fit your needs.
DiscoMakberto
Tue 19 Aug 2014 - 16:34
Registered Member #41794
Hello, Taf!

Thank you for your advice, but I prefer a CD or DVD (or even BD). Also, as the e-mail account and the service provider are no longer in service, there is no way for me to receive any new e-mail message.

On a related issue, just roughly speaking, how many of all the winpenpack applications do you think are compatible with optical media? I understand that some need a writing medium, but I suppose that some others do not require this.

Best,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Taf
Tue 19 Aug 2014 - 17:37

Registered Member #251
DiscoMakberto wrote ...

Hello, Taf!

Thank you for your advice, but I prefer a CD or DVD (or even BD). Also, as the e-mail account and the service provider are no longer in service, there is no way for me to receive any new e-mail message.

So, if I understand well, you need only to read old messages in thunderbird archive, isn't it? In this case You can try with the archive stored on a CD/DVD/BR and the portable "mail reader" MiTeC Mail Viewer.
-Link-
Not Open source but Free for both private and commercial use. It's a really small proggie and (maybe) you can run it also if it is written on a read-only device.
Anyway, also if You need to store the program itself on a write/read support (USB device or Hard drive), I'm pretty sure You will be able to open archives stored on a read-only media
[EDIT]
I tried right now with both, a small part of my X-thunderbird archive and the main program, copied on a 512Kb SD-CARD. After the copy I switched it in read-only mode and i was able to open, see and print messages.

DiscoMakberto wrote ...
On a related issue, just roughly speaking, how many of all the winpenpack applications do you think are compatible with optical media? I understand that some need a writing medium, but I suppose that some others do not require this.
Best,
Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto

I'm not able to correctly answer to this question. The only suggestion is: try them and see! I'm sorry for the brief sentence!

[ Edited Tue 19 Aug 2014 - 17:39 ]
DiscoMakberto
Sat 23 Aug 2014 - 18:56
Registered Member #41794
Hi, Taf!

Nice to hear back from you.

>So, if I understand well, you need only to read old messages in thunderbird archive, isn't it? In this case You >can try with the archive stored on a CD/DVD/BR and the portable "mail reader" MiTeC Mail Viewer.
>-Link-
>Not Open source but Free for both private and commercial use. It's a really small proggie and (maybe) you can >run it also if it is written on a read-only device.
>Anyway, also if You need to store the program itself on a write/read support (USB device or Hard drive), I'm >pretty sure You will be able to open archives stored on a read-only media
>[EDIT]

Yes, MiTeC Mail Viewer is one option.

>I tried right now with both, a small part of my X-thunderbird archive and the main program, copied on a 512Kb >SD-CARD. After the copy I switched it in read-only mode and i was able to open, see and print messages.

This could be the wonderful news I was wishing to receive! If X-Thunderbird works on the SD card via read-only mode, then it must work on CD/DVD. However, please be so kind to confirm something. While working via read-only mode, does X-Thunderbird copies itself to the TEMP folder? As I told you, the Port Apps version of Thunderbird on CD copies itself to the TEMP folder and, by doing so, I cannot use it simply because the total size of my e-mails is greater than the total size of my memory.

(Re: WinPenPack apps on CD)
>I'm not able to correctly answer to this question. The only suggestion is: try them and see! I'm sorry for the >brief sentence!

I am understanding by your statement that at least some (or perhaps more than some) of WinPenPack apps should work on CD/DVD. This is definitely superb news!

Have a great weekend, and I see you soon!

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Taf
Mon 25 Aug 2014 - 08:36

Registered Member #251
Hi, DiscoMakberto
DiscoMakberto wrote ...

>So, if I understand well, you need only to read old messages in thunderbird archive, isn't it? In this case You >can try with the archive stored on a CD/DVD/BR and the portable "mail reader" MiTeC Mail Viewer.
>-Link-
>Not Open source but Free for both private and commercial use. It's a really small proggie and (maybe) you can >run it also if it is written on a read-only device.
>Anyway, also if You need to store the program itself on a write/read support (USB device or Hard drive), I'm >pretty sure You will be able to open archives stored on a read-only media
>[EDIT]

Yes, MiTeC Mail Viewer is one option.

No, not ONE option. It is THE option!

DiscoMakberto wrote ...
>I tried right now with both, a small part of my X-thunderbird archive and the main program, copied on a 512Kb >SD-CARD. After the copy I switched it in read-only mode and i was able to open, see and print messages.

This could be the wonderful news I was wishing to receive! If X-Thunderbird works on the SD card via read-only mode, then it must work on CD/DVD. However, please be so kind to confirm something. While working via read-only mode, does X-Thunderbird copies itself to the TEMP folder? As I told you, the Port Apps version of Thunderbird on CD copies itself to the TEMP folder and, by doing so, I cannot use it simply because the total size of my e-mails is greater than the total size of my memory.
SNIPPED

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto

Maybe I was NOT clear enough.... X-Thubderbird in NOT a read only apllication.
But, I understand You need to open an EXISTING (and NOT Modified) mail archive, created with X-Thunderbird.
If, i'm right, in this case THE solution is: MiTeC Mail Viewer

Because this app is able to work as a "read-only" app from within a LOCKED SD card (in my test).

[ Edited Mon 25 Aug 2014 - 08:36 ]
DiscoMakberto
Tue 26 Aug 2014 - 21:50
Registered Member #41794
Hey, Taf!

Indeed, I have the normal Thundebird on my computer populated with e-mails that are not operative from services that are also not operative. Thus, I only use it to read e-mails. I just wanted to transfer the e-mail messages to a portable version of Thunderbird on CD, maybe by exporting MBOX files from the normal Thunderbird to then again import these MBOX files to the new portable version. However, the Portable Apps version of Thunderbid on CD copies itself to TEMP, and as I told you, I cannot use it as such with my limited system. In other words, the Portable Apps version of Thunderbird on CD works with systems that have a memory greater than the total size of Thunderbird e-mails, and that is not my case. Of course, I can upgrade my computer, but that is something I cannot afford right now.

Yes, MiTeC Mail Viewer looks fine, but my previous question still remain. What would happen if we use X-Thunderbird with an SD in read-only mode? Does it copy itself to TEMP like the Portable Apps version of Thunderbird on CD does? I understand that Thunderbird is not intended to be placed on read-only media, but if we find a way to tweak it to make it work, I am all for it. As a matter of fact, a guy on a forum claimed that he did what I am trying to achieve, but I could not understand his procedure which was not well explained.

Kindest regards,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto
Taf
Wed 27 Aug 2014 - 11:22

Registered Member #251
My suggestion:
please, burn your x-thunderbird populate with your mail archive on a CD, and try!
This is the simplest way to check if X-THB is able to open a read only archive.
few cents for a "burn-out" CD can be spent, isn't it?

in the worst case, you have a backup on a READ-ONLY support.
Last but not least... if you burn there also a copy of "Mail Viever" you already have the keys to open and read your mails!!!
DiscoMakberto
Thu 28 Aug 2014 - 02:47
Registered Member #41794
Hi, Taf!

Indeed, I will do what you are telling me. But I will do it first by copying the emails from Thunderbird on my hard drive to X-Thunderbird on USB flash drive or flash card before burning to CD (or DVD if the case may be) from the USB device. This will keep my original Thunderbird with all e-mails intact on my hard drive. Oh! l will surely spend extra cents in buying the USB device, but (;

Please allow me a few days or even a week or so to complete all tests. I will report back with the results.

Thank you,

Carlos Albert
Disco Makberto

[ Edited Thu 28 Aug 2014 - 02:49 ]
Taf
Thu 28 Aug 2014 - 10:27

Registered Member #251
YW DiscoMakberto!
I'll wait for your feed-back here. It's important for all folks reading us!

Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF