Registered Member #4173
Taf wrote ...

Thanks to Nuvolari for the support!
It's a pleasure
sl23
Fri 22 Jan 2016 - 00:06

Registered Member #39172
Nuvolari wrote ...

Please, tell me exactly which app-icon are you trying to change using Resource Hacker (is it an X-launcher or winPenPackNet.exe?), I will try to reproduce your case.

About AutoIt3, I write in few steps how to compile an X-launcher:

1) download AutoIt3 -Link- , unpack it, it should already contain SciTe subfolder (can't remember), if not get it from -Link- (SciTE4AutoIt3_Portable.zip)
2) download -Link- and unpack into a folder named X-Launcher_source
3) run .\AutoIt3\SciTe\SciTE.exe
4) open x-compiler.au3 from X-Launcher_source
5) move your x-icon.ico into subfolder .\graphics, by default it's wPP icon
6) in SciTe click on Tools\Compile (Ctrl+F7)\Compile Script
7) your brand new X-launcher.exe is created in the main directory X-Launcher_source having icon = x.icon.ico

By playing with the lines of the code in x-compiler.au3 you may choose icon, product name, product version, etc.

Hope this helps

P.S.: if you run into issues using old Windows OS with the latest AutoIt 3.3.x version, try with the 3.2.12.1 -Link-

That's a great help, thanks for the detailed reply

Sorry for my inadequate posts lacking information!
I am using the latest versions of these apps:
AutoIT Portable
Resource Hacker
X-Launcher
SyMenu
PortableAppsMenu

A little background info so you may understand my purpose:
I started my portable venture with PortableAppsMenu around 2008, purely for portability. As my interest and knowledge grew, as well as my app collection, I realised the importance of auto-updates, hence I stuck with this menu to this day. Though I have searched for a replacement due to it's slow progress and few apps, plus you can't just add your own. Recently I came across SyMenu, which has an amazing concept, add any app to the database and it can be auto-updated!

So I have both menu's, though I'm trying to rid myself of PA.com menu. I also found useful the X-Launcher for creating portable versions of my favourite semi-portable apps. Though I have very basic knowledge on how to use it!!! But it saves most apps that use AppData so that's pretty much solved the issues I have with apps such as PartitionWizard, WinRAR, MacriumReflect, KnobMan and a few others.

So I tried changing my X-KnobMan X-Launcher icon but if I rename or move the exe it changes to the default wPP icon? I will however try out your instructions at a more appropriate time and let you know how I get on.

One other issue that eludes me... How do I change the text that appears in either menu? Rather than have to rename apps within menu's, I'd like to know how to change the default name - 'winPenPack X-Launcher' - to the $AppName$. Which file from the source folder would need editing and what line do I need to change?

Thank you again for your kind help

[ Edited Fri 22 Jan 2016 - 00:20 ]
Nuvolari
Fri 22 Jan 2016 - 10:34

Registered Member #4173
sl23 wrote ...

So I tried changing my X-KnobMan X-Launcher icon but if I rename or move the exe it changes to the default wPP icon? I will however try out your instructions at a more appropriate time and let you know how I get on.
I've just used RH on X-launcher.exe (generic one with wPP ico):
- icon successfully changed
- exe renamed and icon changed
- exe moved and icon changed

sl23 wrote ...

One other issue that eludes me... How do I change the text that appears in either menu? Rather than have to rename apps within menu's, I'd like to know how to change the default name - 'winPenPack X-Launcher' - to the $AppName$. Which file from the source folder would need editing and what line do I need to change?
Using RH on X-launcher.exe:
- it's enough to edit "Version Info" -> Product Name from 'winPenPack X-Launcher' to 'whatever-you-want' (remember to compile it)

Using AutoIt3:
- x-compiler.au3 is the file to edit

sl23 wrote ...

Thank you again for your kind help
You are welcome
sl23
Sat 23 Jan 2016 - 11:07

Registered Member #39172
Thanks for confirming that Nuvolari. I don't know why, though I suspect it was my fault it didn't work as I don't think I compiled and saved after making changes. I just saved it, I think?! Anyway, I figured it out, but it's good to know RH works and has been confirmed from someone who knows what they're doing!

Although it's not important now that RH does the job, but I'm curious how to change the ProductName in AutoIT, as you mention the file to edit is the one I searched for the 'winPenPack' string and it found it only in comments.

I've changed my X-Launchers icons and names using RH and they seem to be fine, fantastic!

I do have some further questions about the use of X-Launcher to copy/move folders, but I'll start another thread when ready. I want to try figure it out for myself if I can. But, for now, it's great to finally get these icons and names sorted after all these years, thanks!

EDIT: Ah! I've just changed the icon in X-MuLab x32 X-Launcher. Manually updated the X-Launcher from 1.4.2 to 1.5.4.
1. The new version has an incorrect version number, I believe it's showing the version of AutoIT used to compile the exe?
2. On deleting the old, pasting the new and renaming new to match the old ie, X-MuLab x32 the icon remained even though I updated it ONLY in the old version?
3. I then manually copied the updated exe to my F drive used for backup, but that copied exe does NOT have the icon?

This tells me that the exe is only updated in Windows registry and not the EXE. If RH is compiling the icon into v1.4.2 then why does v1.5.4 have the icon showing but only on the drive it was originally edited? Doesn't make sense???

On another note...
Using RH I noticed v1.4.2 has a single VERSIONINFO section, whereas v1.5.4 has two but the second is blank. Well, not blank but sort of like default. Is this meant to be here? it seems like it's overriding the required info from VERSIONINFO/1040?

I tested this thoery by deleting the second section namely VERSIONINFO/1/2057 and the launcher has reverted to showing the required info regarding version number and exe details in windows. Possible bug?

Sorry if my explanations aren't too great!

[ Edited Sun 24 Jan 2016 - 10:36 ]
Nuvolari
Mon 25 Jan 2016 - 09:08

Registered Member #4173
Happy that finally is working for you too
About your further doubts (registry behaviour) or possible bug, you may directly try to contact the author of RH -Link- , it may be appreciated.

And/Or test the same cases using other apps like XN Resource Editor or the small cmd tool "changeexeicon" -Link-

EDIT: hmm, I tested it a little bit, are you running Windows 8 or superior?
In Windows 8.1 I think I face similar issue as you: after using RH to change the icon of winPenPack.exe (same using the other two apps) I can see the new icon in another folder, while in the original folder, where the exe is placed by ages, it keeps the old one. Besides, if I rename a random X-launcher.exe (e.g. X-Audacity.exe, N.B. only an X-, not any other exe) into winPenPack.exe, this immediately gets the new icon set with RH!
In Windows 7, where I have made all the tests about your case so far, it looks working good, instead.

[ Edited Mon 25 Jan 2016 - 11:07 ]
sl23
Mon 25 Jan 2016 - 22:57

Registered Member #39172
Thanks for testing again, glad it's not just me!!!

I did forget to mention I'm on Win10.

Oh, and thanks for the author link, I couldn't find it on his site for some reason?!

Just tried XNReEd, it doesn't show the same info for changing naming in the VERSIONINFO section. Not tried icons yet as it looks a lot more hassle changing each individual icon!

Will need time to figure out "changeexeicon" as not used cmd tools before except NirCmd, and that has examples!
sl23
Mon 25 Jan 2016 - 23:10

Registered Member #39172
I've just realised my stupid mistake regarding AutoIT! I've been opening the wrong file!
Teach me to not read replies properly!

I can see now how it works, which has simplified things a bit. Same though that RH doesn't work as it's so much easier. Never mind, I've contacted the author about it, I can only hope he will sort it out.

OK, I just attempted compiling using AutoIT, but, it simply creates an x-compiler.exe with no icon?

[ Edited Mon 25 Jan 2016 - 23:26 ]
Nuvolari
Tue 26 Jan 2016 - 08:52

Registered Member #4173
sl23 wrote ...

Oh, and thanks for the author link, I couldn't find it on his site for some reason?!
Because it's not in the home page but under the link "Software Programming", don't know why.

sl23 wrote ...

Never mind, I've contacted the author about it, I can only hope he will sort it out.
Nice, let me know please if something moves ahead

sl23 wrote ...

Will need time to figure out "changeexeicon" as not used cmd tools before except NirCmd, and that has examples!
Having the tool, the icon and the file.exe all in the same directory you should run
changeexeicon newicon.ico source.exe destination.exe

sl23 wrote ...

OK, I just attempted compiling using AutoIT, but, it simply creates an x-compiler.exe with no icon?
It should be a matter of path, you should put your icon in subfolder \graphics (where you should see x-icon.ico by the way)
sl23
Tue 26 Jan 2016 - 17:06

Registered Member #39172
I got a reply from the author of RH, and, I quote:
Sorry, can't help.

er... that's it!

Re: AutoIT - That is exactly what I did. I even downloaded the older v3.2.12.1 as you previously suggested, but still all I get when compiling is an exe called x-compiler.exe with no icon! Am I doing it wrong? Or is this another Win10 issue?
Nuvolari
Tue 26 Jan 2016 - 19:06

Registered Member #4173
sl23 wrote ...

I got a reply from the author of RH, and, I quote:
Sorry, can't help.

er... that's it!

sl23 wrote ...

Re: AutoIT - That is exactly what I did. I even downloaded the older v3.2.12.1 as you previously suggested, but still all I get when compiling is an exe called x-compiler.exe with no icon! Am I doing it wrong? Or is this another Win10 issue?

This is the latest (1.5.4) x-compiler.au3:

;   winPenPack X-Launcher

#Region

;** AUT2EXE settings
#AutoIt3Wrapper_OutFile=X-Launcher.exe        ;Target exe/a3x filename.
#AutoIt3Wrapper_OutFile_Type=exe            ;a3x=small AutoIt3 file;  exe=Standalone executable (Default)
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon=graphics\x-icon.ico    ;Filename of the Ico file to use
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=2                ;Compression parameter 0-4  0=Low 2=normal 4=High. Default=2
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=N                    ;(Y/N) Compress output program. Default=Y

;** AUTOIT3 settings
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseAnsi=Y                    ;(Y/N) Use Ansi versions for AutoIt3a or AUT2EXEa. Default=N
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=N                    ;(Y/N) Use X64 versions for AutoIt3_x64 or AUT2EXE_x64. Default=N
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Version=P                    ;(B/P) Use Beta or Production for AutoIt3 and AUT2EXE. Default is P
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Debug_Mode=N            ;(Y/N)Run Script with console debugging. Default=N

;** Target program Resource info
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=ProductName|winPenPack X-Launcher
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=ProductVersion|1.5.4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=OriginalFilename|X-Launcher.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=InternalName|X-Launcher
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Description=X-Launcher - The Universal Launcher!
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=CompanyName|www.winpenpack.com
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=Authors|tittoproject - winPenPack Team & winPenPack community
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion=1.5.4
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Comment=X-Launcher allows you to change at will the options for initiating programs undertaken in order to make them portable.
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_LegalCopyright=GNU General Public License
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=LegalTrademarks|winPenPack
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Language=1040                    ;Resource Language code . default 2057=English (United Kingdom)
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=eMail|winpenpack@gmail.com
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_RequestedExecutionLevel=None    ;None, asInvoker, highestAvailable or requireAdministrator (default=None)

#EndRegion

;** Include X-Launcher's source code
#include 'x-launcher.au3'
#include 'files\x-install.au3'

The icon line:
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon=graphics\x-icon.ico    ;Filename of the Ico file to use

The exe line:
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Field=OriginalFilename|X-Launcher.exe

Try default settings, it should create X-Launcher.exe having wPP icon. Is it true?

Go to page   <<        >>  
Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF