Firefox leaving entries on host computer

Autore Messaggio
Chikara
mer 12 ago 2009 - 03:30
Utente registrato #17560
Registrato il: dom 15 mar 2009 - 05:31

Hi,

I'm using X-Firefox version 3.5.1

Each time I use it, Firefox leaves behind folders under C:\Documents and Settings\*my user name*\Application Data\Mozilla
This is after I have closed down everything.

I thought this portable version is meant to leave no traces at all on the host computer?? If it is leaving behind this folder, I wonder what else it is also leaving behind that I am not aware of?
Note that it has actually done this for a while, so it is not specific just to Firefox 3.5.1

How can I fix this?

This is running on Win XP Pro.

Thanks!
Torna ad inizio pagina
Taf
mer 12 ago 2009 - 09:33

Utente registrato #251
Registrato il: lun 22 gen 2007 - 10:12
Hi Chikara,

first of all, welcome to this forum.

What You are asking for is not a bug, we prefer to call it a "safety feature".

If You use X-Firefox on a hosting Computer where is installed a "plain version" of Firefox, it is very risky to delete that folder. In fact the real risk is to eliminate all firefox settings and add-ons settings used by the hosting computer owner.
So we prefer to maintain this folder (it will be empty if the PC has no "plain Firefox" installed) to avoid loosing data.

Anyway, With our ini file it is possible to remove also the mozilla Folder when You close your x-firefox.
In the ini file there is a "commented string"
;[RunAfter]
;DirRemove=@AppDataDir@\Mozilla\Extensions

if you open x-firefox.ini with a text editor and you remove ";" before "DirRemove", You are able to delete also such folder at the exit of x-firefox.

PLEASE NOTE:
this is at Your own risk! (and also risky for Your hosting partner).

hope this helps...

[ Modificato mer 12 ago 2009 - 09:35 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Chikara
mer 12 ago 2009 - 10:50
Utente registrato #17560
Registrato il: dom 15 mar 2009 - 05:31
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I mainly use Firefox portable if I am accessing the internet in a hotel on my work laptop when travelling for work. As it's a work machine, I don;t really want any leftover files or folders.

I wonder, would it work if I create two shortcuts, one for Firefox using the normal .ini, and then a second shortcut using the modified .ini (as you've described) that I can use on the work laptop?
Is that possible to do at all?

Thanks!
Torna ad inizio pagina
Taf
mer 12 ago 2009 - 16:03

Utente registrato #251
Registrato il: lun 22 gen 2007 - 10:12
Yes, You can work with a normal ini or with a modified ini but the right way is this:

In the X-firefox structure You have

X-Firefox.exe
X-Firefox.ini (with Profile=Default)
and in the "User" Folder You have one profile named Default

Now You can temporarily copy and then rename the above mentioned files in:

X-Firefox_2.exe
X-Firefox_2.ini (or what You want, but the .exe and .ini names must be the same)

now put them again in the same path of original ones

after this, open x-firefox_2.ini with a text editor and modify the parameters as already said:
;[RunAfter]
DirRemove=@AppDataDir@\Mozilla\Extensions

In such way, you can handle the same profile and the same user of X-firefox as per Your request.
If You start X-firefox.exe, You leave "Mozilla" folder in the original position.
If You start X-firefox_2.exe, at the end of the session You will remove this folder.

Please note:
If You want, with this structure, and a small modification, You have also the possibility to use different user profiles.

The Modifications are:
1) create also a new profile Folder called Default_2 (or what You want) in the "User" folder.
2) after this, open again x-firefox_2.ini with a text editor and modify these parameters as shown below:

[Setup]
AppName=Firefox
Profile=Default_2
(or the name same You have choosen for the new profile)

[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

with this configuration NOW You will have 2 different user profiles for two X-firefox (with also different extensions and bookmarks).

With the second modification (MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1), You can also run both profiles in the same time.

Hope I've been clear enough to help You, and I'm sorry for my poor English

[ Modificato mer 12 ago 2009 - 16:08 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina

Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF