Update of JRE doesn't work

Vai a pagina   <<      
Autore Messaggio
ZioZione
gio 23 ago 2012 - 20:28

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi dropper,
as zandet2 said, this update to X-Launcher code is difficult to perform and, IMHO, absolutely useless...
I think that the contemporary presence of installed Java AND \Lib\Java libraries is an anomaly that, with this new X-Launcher release, could no more exist (is just a waste of disk space), nor managed by X-Launcher.
So I return to my first suggestion:
ZioZione ha scritto ...

1) Java installed on PC: delete \Lib\Java contents; you should just upgrade the installed Java when required.

that is more generic and allows you to use also not portable Java-based programs installed on your PC.
If you absolutely need two Java versions (but I really cannot understand why), you can try (VERY carefully) my suggestion regarding the registry
ZioZione ha scritto ...

The alternative (that I used for testing) is to "play" with the registry (strongly unsuggested); read HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion (i.e. "1.7"); the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7\JavaHome contains the Java path (i.e. C:\Program Files\Java\jre7); editing this with whatever you want (i.e. C:\Program Files\Java\jre7_notfound) you can simulate that Java is not installed. Run any X-Program-J to perform the update into \Lib\Java, then restore the Java path into the registry. Please, be careful to use this option!!!

Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
gio 23 ago 2012 - 21:57

Utente registrato #39636
Registrato il: mar 15 feb 2011 - 23:47
I have thought about both variants, which you offered in one of your previous posts.

ZioZione wrote ...

1) Java installed on PC: delete \Lib\Java contents; you should just upgrade the installed Java when required.
2) Java not installed on PC: maintain \Lib\Java contents; you should upgrade it copying the Java setup under \Lib\Java\setup and running any X-Program-J.

Both solutions are incomplete and therefore insufficient.

1. Remarks to your solution No. 1

This solution may be sufficient in the case, where I use the winPenPack menu only on the host PC and not elsewhere (exactly the situation on my own PC). But let me consider the typical case of the usage of the winPenPack menu on an USB flash drive. If I insert this USB flash drive at another PC, where is installed an older version of Java, then I need for best performance regarding the X-Software-J the latest version of Java installed in the folder Lib\Java. However, in order to install on the flash drive this latest version of Java, I must either uninstall Java on the external or on my own PC. Afterwards it's necessary to reinstall Java on the external or own PC. This is a bit awkward.

2. Remarks to your solution No. 2

This solution has the lack, that I only can use portable X-Software-J within the winPenPack menu but not Java based programs, which are installed on the host PC.

Because of these problems I think, that it makes sense to develop a X-Launcher, which even is able to install Java in the folder Lib\Java in such a case, when Java is already available on the host PC.

[ Modificato gio 23 ago 2012 - 22:39 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
zandet2
gio 23 ago 2012 - 23:07

Utente registrato #3184
Registrato il: mar 06 mar 2007 - 11:52
dropper ha scritto ...

Because of these problems I think, that it makes sense to develop a X-Launcher, which even is able to install Java in the folder Lib\Java in such a case, when Java is already available on the host PC.

Give us some times....
Torna ad inizio pagina

Vai a pagina   <<      
Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF