<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
Update of X-Software

Vai a pagina       >>  
Autore Messaggio
dropper
ven 01 mar 2013 - 12:45

Utente registrato #39636
Registrato il: mar 15 feb 2011 - 23:47

I've been thinking about the update process of X-Software, which is not integrated in the winPenPack Net menu. For the following explanations I use a program named AppName, which is portabilized in a X-AppName.zip package. Furthermore I will name the old package X-AppName_old.zip and the updated package X-AppName_new.zip. Accordingly I've extracted both files to the folders named "X-AppName_old" and "X_AppName_new". For usually are all settings of the program contained in the folder X-AppName_old\User\AppName_old. Therefore it's necessary for the procedure of an update, that I copy the complete content of the folder
X-AppName_old\User\AppName_old. Afterwards I paste this content in the folder X-AppName_new\User\AppName_new.

But there is one exeption, if the program stores some settings in the folder X-AppName_old\Bin\AppName_old. In such a special case I must perform a backup of configuration files/folders (contained in the folder X-AppName_old\Bin\AppName_old) to be reinserted in program folder (here: X-AppName_new\Bin\AppName_new) after update.

Are all the above explanations so far correct?

[ Modificato ven 01 mar 2013 - 12:46 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
ven 01 mar 2013 - 14:59

Utente registrato #1
Registrato il: ven 29 dic 2006 - 05:38
Hi dropper, take a look at this page -Link-
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
dropper
ven 01 mar 2013 - 15:11

Utente registrato #39636
I have already take a look at this page, which you have recommended me. But on this page is described the update of the winPenPack Net menu. My question, however, relates to the update of a standalone version of a X-Software, i.e. this X-Software should not be integrated in the winPenPack Net menu.

[ Modificato ven 01 mar 2013 - 15:28 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
sab 02 mar 2013 - 12:08

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi dropper,
dropper ha scritto ...

I have already take a look at this page, which you have recommended me. But on this page is described the update of the winPenPack Net menu. My question, however, relates to the update of a standalone version of a X-Software, i.e. this X-Software should not be integrated in the winPenPack Net menu.

AFAIK, all portabilizations we have created, tended to save all program settings into \User\ProgramName folder.
If you find settings into \Bin\ProgramName folder, these files should also be present into \User\ProgramName folder. This allows us to perform some backups or some path normalizations before copying these files into \Bin\ProgramName folder (where that program need to find them).
Can you please point out to us which X-Programs does not have this behavior, i.e. have settings ONLY into \Bin folder? Maybe they could need some reworking...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
sab 02 mar 2013 - 13:04

Utente registrato #39636
ZioZione wrote ...

AFAIK, all portabilizations we have created, tended to save all program settings into \User\ProgramName folder.

Because of your own explanation I conclude, that in my original post the description of the update process with respect to a standalone version of a X-program is so far correct.

ZioZione wrote ...

If you find settings into \Bin\ProgramName folder, these files should also be present into \User\ProgramName folder.

If this statement was true, then is of course the by me quoted exception unnecessary. However I've discovered this exception on your own web site, where that exception is mentioned in conjunction with the update of X-Software. There will explained the following note:

Note: exceptionally, X-Software can save some settings into \winPenPack\Bin\Program_name folder. In these cases, you have to follow the same procedure depicted for Portable Software, doing a backup of configuration files/folders to be reinserted in program folder after update.

If this note is no longer true, I ask for a corresponding correction into your website.

ZioZione wrote ...

Can you please point out to us which X-Programs does not have this behavior, i.e. have settings ONLY into \Bin folder? Maybe they could need some reworking...

So far I have not found a X-Software, where this particular behavior applies, which I have mentioned in the above cited exception. I merely accepted the above mentioned note on your own website as true.
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
sab 02 mar 2013 - 18:41

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
above I wrote "AFAIK, all portabilizations we have created, tended to save all program settings into \User\ProgramName folder.". This assertion does non mean "....all X-Software surely save...".
Due to the fact that we cannot assure that NO X-Software does or will never save its settings exclusively into its \Bin folder, I think that our documentation can be leaved unchanged, covering all these cases.
By the way, if you will find something wrong in our documentation: we are too few people for also maintain perfectly aligned all our documentation. This is due also to the lack of help from other persons or advanced users (as I think you are). This is not a "j'accuse", but a simple general consideration.
I hope you understand if we prefer to better portabilize our programs instead of change some phrases written with the specific objective to avoid to rewrite then every week... Anyway, thank you for your contribution!
Best Regards
ZioZione
P.S. In any case, if you find some X-Program that cannot be upgraded by simply unzip the new package on the old one, please let us know!
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
sab 02 mar 2013 - 23:01

Utente registrato #39636
ZioZione wrote ...

above I wrote "AFAIK, all portabilizations we have created, tended to save all program settings into \User\ProgramName folder.". This assertion does non mean "....all X-Software surely save...".

Due to this potential opportunity (that some programs might store their settings in the folder \Bin\ProgramName) am I convinced, that it is necessary for all X-Software to be programmed in such a kind, so that the settings are always in the folder
\Users\ProgramName stored. That should be possible I think. For example this is for all the programs that were developed after the PortableApps.com Format 3.0 in such a kind solved, that all settings are stored in the folder Data. And this folder Data is preserved during an update of the app.

ZioZione wrote ...

P.S. In any case, if you find some X-Program that cannot be upgraded by simply unzip the new package on the old one, please let us know!

Is it really enough, if I simply unzip the new package on the old one? Would in such a case preserved the settings in the folder \User\ProgramName? Or must I not rather perform the update, as I described in my original post? There I have explained, that I perform a backup of the content of the folder \User\ProgramName of the old version of the X-Software in a first step. Afterwards I extract the new version of the X-Software in a second step. And finally I will paste the backup in the folder \User\ProgramName of that extracted new X-Software.

[ Modificato sab 02 mar 2013 - 23:05 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
dom 03 mar 2013 - 12:01

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
dropper ha scritto ...

ZioZione wrote ...

Due to this potential opportunity (that some programs might store their settings in the folder \Bin\ProgramName) am I convinced, that it is necessary for all X-Software to be programmed in such a kind, so that the settings are always in the folder
\Users\ProgramName stored. That should be possible I think. For example this is for all the programs that were developed after the PortableApps.com Format 3.0 in such a kind solved, that all settings are stored in the folder Data. And this folder Data is preserved during an update of the app.

The portabilization of a program very often is due to maintain the settings in a known folder, and \User\ProgramName is perfoect for this. We are working to always perform this task, and I think (if my memory does not joke with me... ) that all X-Software already work in this manner. If you find some exception(s), you are welcome to signal it to us. Thank you, as usual, for your collaboration!

dropper ha scritto ...

ZioZione wrote ...

Is it really enough, if I simply unzip the new package on the old one? Would in such a case preserved the settings in the folder \User\ProgramName? Or must I not rather perform the update, as I described in my original post? There I have explained, that I perform a backup of the content of the folder \User\ProgramName of the old version of the X-Software in a first step. Afterwards I extract the new version of the X-Software in a second step. And finally I will paste the backup in the folder \User\ProgramName of that extracted new X-Software.

I am quite sure that is enough, because, if you take a look on any X-Software \User\ProgramName subfolder into the X-ProgramName.zip archive, you will find that it is empty; by definition, an empty folder does not overwrite anything... We studied this configuration exactly for simplify the upgrade task. I think that PA is based on the same theory.
The real problem (if we want to find one) is the overwrite of the ProgramName.ini file, because, if the user performed some personalizations (i.e. commenting out and/or changing some settings) they are overwritten by the new X-ProgramName.ini file. Fortunately, the majority of the users does not (need to) change anything into that files, and the advanced users are skilled enough to re-apply their personalizations. We are working on a possible solution of this problem, to allow the complete upgrade of a X-Software simply unzipping the new onto the old one, without loosing any setting.
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
dom 03 mar 2013 - 13:09

Utente registrato #39636
ZioZione wrote ...

The real problem (if we want to find one) is the overwrite of the ProgramName.ini file, because, if the user performed some personalizations (i.e. commenting out and/or changing some settings) they are overwritten by the new X-ProgramName.ini file. Fortunately, the majority of the users does not (need to) change anything into that files, and the advanced users are skilled enough to re-apply their personalizations. We are working on a possible solution of this problem, to allow the complete upgrade of a X-Software simply unzipping the new onto the old one, without loosing any setting.

About the update of a X-Software can be summarized the following procedure:

In moste cases it's enough, if the user simply unzip the new package on the old one. But due to possible changes of some advanced user users in the file X-ProgramName.ini the following procedure must be performed until a simpler solution is available:

1. Creation of a backup of the old file X-ProgramName.ini
  2. Unzip the new package on the old one
  3. Replace the new file X-ProgramName.ini with the backup

Only by this method can be guaranteed at this stage that an update of the standalone version of a X-Software works in all cases.

[ Modificato dom 03 mar 2013 - 13:14 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
dom 03 mar 2013 - 13:45

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
dropper ha scritto ...

ZioZione wrote ...

About the update of a X-Software can be summarized the following procedure:

In moste cases it's enough, if the user simply unzip the new package on the old one. But due to possible changes of some advanced user users in the file X-ProgramName.ini the following procedure must be performed until a simpler solution is available:

1. Creation of a backup of the old file X-ProgramName.ini
  2. Unzip the new package on the old one
  3. Replace the new file X-ProgramName.ini with the backup

Only by this method can be guaranteed at this stage that an update of the standalone version of a X-Software works in all cases.

Please keep in mind that in some cases a new release of an X-Program fixes some portatilization errors contained in the previous version, so overwrite indiscriminately the new .ini file with the old one is never a good idea.
The only solution is to re-apply at the new .ini file the personalizations performed onto the old .ini file, of course if these options are still present on the new .ini file, and if these personalizations are not in conflict with the corrections applied in the new .ini file.
So we cannot state a definitive rule that can applied in any situation: in cases of doubt, is alway better to ask for help in our forum.
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina

Vai a pagina       >>  
Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF