Link
<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
no automatic installation of a new JRE

Autore Messaggio
dropper
mar 05 mar 2013 - 09:07

Utente registrato #39636
Registrato il: mar 15 feb 2011 - 23:47

I have two X-Programs in the winPenPack Net menu installed, which are based on Java technology (X-muCommander and X-RSSOwl). But neither of these both programs asked me to upgrade Java when a new release become available. Accordingly I need to download the Java installer from this page. Afterwards I must copy it in the folder "\Lib\Java\setup". Then I need to run one of my both programs, which are already patched with JavaGet. This manual installation of a new JRE is in the moment the only possibility for me.

But why doesn't work the automatic installation of a new JRE, when I start an appropriate program within the winPenPack Net menu?

[ Modificato mar 05 mar 2013 - 09:23 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mar 05 mar 2013 - 13:28

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi dropper,
these two programs use X-Launcher 1.5.0.
The 1.5.1 releases fixed some little bugs regarding the JavaGet behavior, so you can try to download the latest X-Launcher -Link- , extract X-Launcher.exe, rename it as (for example) X-mucommander.exe and overwrite the original X-Mucommander.exe with the new one. Then retry and let us know if this fixes your problem.
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
mar 05 mar 2013 - 14:33

Utente registrato #39636
Exactly the same idea as you I have also, because I assumed, that this non current version of the X-Launcher was the cause. Accordingly I have retried it as you described but without any success. Thus, the launcher is not the cause of the problem which I described.
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mar 05 mar 2013 - 14:49

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
the JavaGet routine integrated into X-Launcher let all X-Programs to use, if available, the Java already installed on your PC, independently if this is the latest release. Maybe this is the case?
Otherwise, please check if your firewall does not prevent the launcher to connect to internet for download the Java setup, and also (but obviously I think that you already do this) check if your internet connection is on and active.
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
mar 05 mar 2013 - 16:22

Utente registrato #39636
Your first assumption is incorrect, because on my computer isn't a locally installed version of Java.

But your second assumption with respect to my firewall as a possible cause for the described issue seems to be correct. For this purpose I have downloaded the standalone version of X-muCommander. At the first run of X-muCommander I got the following message:

Java not found in the package.
Do you want to download and install it?

After I have clicked on the button "Ok" my firewall Avira Internet Security opened a new window with the following message:

This application tries to establish a TCP connection

winPenPack
X-muCommander.exe

After I have clicked on the button "Permit", the download of the Java installer started. However, after downloading of 37 % of the Java installer I have got now the following error message:

muCommander: Error

Unable to download!

Unfortunately I can not really understand this strange behavior. How can I solve this problem?

Or could it be, that the JavaGet routine uses a false link for downloading of the Java installer?

[ Modificato mar 05 mar 2013 - 16:45 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mar 05 mar 2013 - 22:12

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
my first assumption wasn't an assumption, but a simple guess (I cannot know what you have installed on your PC... ).
Also, there is not any "false" link, but just a true one, otherwise your download shouldn't never started... I don't have heard other signalling of such behavior: or the download started (and finished) or it doesn't start at all...

From what you say, maybe the problem could be the firewall. But this is a really strange behavior: there is no firewall that I know that let you start a download but not let it finish

I developed and tested personally these routines, and every time my firewall (Comodo Internet Security Premium) allowed me to completely download the Java setup, so the code itself works regularly.

Have you tried more times? Have you tried from another PC? Do some other test, then let us know the results. In the meantime, you can download the Java setup through your internet browser, then install manually (as you have already done).

Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
mer 06 mar 2013 - 00:43

Utente registrato #39636
Hi ZioZione,

I have tested again the standalone version of X-muCommander. And curiously enough became now the download of the Java setup performed completely. So far is now all ok with respect to the standalone version.

But now have I downloaded a new winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67 and afterwards I have extracted it. In this new winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67 I have installed X-muCommander. Now have I pasted an older Java setup (jre-7u13-windows-i586.exe) in the folder "\Lib\Java\setup". Then have I started X-muCommander and the older Java version was been installed. Finally I closed X-muCommander and the winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67.

Again have I started the winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67 und afterwards the program X-muCommander. But the program not asked me for an ugrade of a newer Java release (currently Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7 Update 17). The same issue occurs in my already installed winPenPack Net menu.

Could it be, that the automatic upgrade of a newer Java version doesn't works in such a case, when I previously have installed Java in the winPenPack Net menu manually?

[ Modificato mer 06 mar 2013 - 00:46 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mer 06 mar 2013 - 16:07

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
dropper ha scritto ...

Hi ZioZione,

I have tested again the standalone version of X-muCommander. And curiously enough became now the download of the Java setup performed completely. So far is now all ok with respect to the standalone version.

But now have I downloaded a new winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67 and afterwards I have extracted it. In this new winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67 I have installed X-muCommander. Now have I pasted an older Java setup (jre-7u13-windows-i586.exe) in the folder "\Lib\Java\setup". Then have I started X-muCommander and the older Java version was been installed. Finally I closed X-muCommander and the winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67.

Again have I started the winPenPack Net Menù 2.8.67 und afterwards the program X-muCommander. But the program not asked me for an ugrade of a newer Java release (currently Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 7 Update 17). The same issue occurs in my already installed winPenPack Net menu.

Could it be, that the automatic upgrade of a newer Java version doesn't works in such a case, when I previously have installed Java in the winPenPack Net menu manually?

the automatic download of Java is triggered ony by the total absence of \Lib\Java libraries.
In all other cases, is better to use the manual method, that is more secure, because allow the user to choose when (or if) perform the update. For example, he is waiting that a particular Java program (working only with a particular Java release) will be updated. Or an user could not want to update at all its copy of Java, because he is happy of that.
This is the same philosophy behind the winPenPackNet menu update feature. Is always better (from a developer point of view, of course) to choose the solution that cause its program to manage as less particular cases as possible and, at the same time, to let the user as more happy as possible... I'd wager that if you does not want to automatically update Java, you could be bored by automatic updates...
Seriously, at this moment this is the best I can do for manage the most frequent situations.
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
mer 06 mar 2013 - 18:19

Utente registrato #39636
ZioZione wrote ...

In all other cases, is better to use the manual method, that is more secure, because allow the user to choose when (or if) perform the update. For example, he is waiting that a particular Java program (working only with a particular Java release) will be updated. Or an user could not want to update at all its copy of Java, because he is happy of that.

With regard to Java I think, that an automatic update is the optimal solution in most cases. Given the security vulnerabilities in older versions of Java should an user in his own interest immediately perform an update. Also Oracle strongly recommends that all Java SE 7 users upgrade to the newest release (see also here). Accordingly Oracle recommends to uninstall older versions of Java from the system (see also here).

However, some Java applications (or applets) can indicate that they are dependent on a particular version, and may not run if the user do not have that version installed. If an application or web page an user access requires an older version of Java, the user should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions.

In summary, I would welcome it if in the future the possibility of automatic updates of Java in winPenPack Net menu and in the standalone version is implemented.

[ Modificato mer 06 mar 2013 - 22:57 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina

Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF