<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
portable version of X-RedNotebook isn't working, but non=portable works fine

Autore Messaggio
vldmr
lun 11 lug 2011 - 15:39
Utente registrato #39972
Registrato il: lun 11 lug 2011 - 00:11

Hi,
I've downloaded and uncompressed the zip file (tried 7zip and standard win xp uncompress process), but when i open x-rednotebook.exe, mouse cursor shows busy hourglass for a 2-3 seconds and then nothing happens, if I try to open it again it does nothing - not even the hourglass.

After this I installed non-portable version of RedNotebook and it works fine. I have really no idea what might be the problem. I tried to download the zip file from this site three times with the same result everytime.

Thanks for your time
Torna ad inizio pagina
Taf
lun 11 lug 2011 - 16:12

Utente registrato #251
Registrato il: lun 22 gen 2007 - 10:12
Hi vldmr,
quite strange, here X-RedNotebook works fine.
I've downloaded it few minutes ago to be sure using files like yours.

Anyway for a better analisys of Your situation we need some more infos:

- X-rednotebook is on a USB stick or lies on your hard drive?
- O.S. of host machine? (mine is windows 7 pro 64 bit)
- did You tried to run the portable version on other machines? If Yes, same issue?
- X-rednotebook is integrated in the wPP suite or is it standalone in a dedicated folder?
- program's folder path is with or without spaces? (Example: "E:/yourpath/programs/X-Rednotebook" or "E:/Your Path/Portable Programs/X -notebooks")
- is it a long path?

NOTE: all these answers are to try finding your personal issue.

For Your Info:
I'm running it from within my hard drive, in a path without spaces and not very long (for first test, mine is: "c:\TEMP\X-RED\X-RedNotebook.exe")

EDITED ON 16.12
I made another test:
A - moved my previous x-rednotebook folder on the hard drive of a laptop with Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
B - putted it in a "spaced path" (p:\TEMP_D\test da rete\X-RED\X-RedNotebook.exe)
C - Ran the program from within the Win7 Pro 64bit machine (a workstation) using network linked path.

everthing is working fine!

[ Modificato lun 11 lug 2011 - 16:26 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
lun 11 lug 2011 - 16:37

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi vldmr,
I have just tried your same steps (under Windows XP Professional SP3) without any problem.

Please be sure that the archive has been uncompressed correctly, i.e. supposing that you uncompressed under "C:\test\X-RedNotebook" folder, you should have following structure:

C:\test\X-RedNotebook\Bin
C:\test\X-RedNotebook\Documents
C:\test\X-RedNotebook\ReadMe
C:\test\X-RedNotebook\User
C:\test\X-RedNotebook\X-RedNotebook.exe
C:\test\X-RedNotebook\X-RedNotebook.ini

Please avoid to uncompress directly under "Desktop" (in some cases it could give unpredictable errors...).

If you still have errors, you can modify, with a text editor, the X-RedNotebook.ini file, as follows:

WriteLog=false --> WriteLog=true

and retry to execute X-RedNotebook.exe. In C:\test\X-RedNotebook folder you should find X-RedNotebook.log file. Please attach it in your next answer. This could be useful to us for understand what happened.
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
vldmr
lun 11 lug 2011 - 18:15
Utente registrato #39972
Thanks to both of you, the long path was causing the problem, when i move it to c:\ or c:\program files\ it works fine, so spaces doesn't seem to matter.

It was located in my dropbox file C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\X-RedNotebook

Is there any way I can make the program work even with the long path? Otherwise I will just move my dropbox folder to C:\ which is not a problem.. I'm just asking because I'm curious what is causing it and how to fix it.

[ Modificato lun 11 lug 2011 - 18:16 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
vldmr
lun 11 lug 2011 - 18:30
Utente registrato #39972
here is the log:

[Setup]
AppName=RedNotebook
AppVer=
UserName=User
Profile=Default
ScriptName=X-RedNotebook
Lang=
[FileSystem]
Root=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook
Temp=C:\DOCUME~1\VLADIM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\X-RedNotebook
Cache=C:\DOCUME~1\VLADIM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\X-RedNotebook\Cache
Home=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\User
Bin=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Bin
Lib=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Lib
Doc=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Documents
Backup=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Backups
Download=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Downloads
[FileToRun]
WorkingDir=
PathToExe=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Bin\RedNotebook\RedNotebook.exe
ExeDir=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Bin\RedNotebook
ExeName=RedNotebook.exe
StringToExe="C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Bin\RedNotebook\RedNotebook.exe"
[Environment]
DRIVE=C:
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\VLADIM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\X-RedNotebook
LANG=
GTK2_DIR=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\User\RedNotebook\gtk-2.0
HOME=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\User\RedNotebook
DATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\RedNotebook\Documents\RedNotebook
[Local]
AppData=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Local Settings\Data aplikací
Settings=C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Local Settings

[ Modificato lun 11 lug 2011 - 18:31 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
lun 11 lug 2011 - 20:54

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi vldmr,
vldmr ha scritto ...

Thanks to both of you, the long path was causing the problem, when i move it to c:\ or c:\program files\ it works fine, so spaces doesn't seem to matter.

Fine. I was almost sure that X-Launcher supports without any problem paths with spaces...
vldmr ha scritto ...

It was located in my dropbox file C:\Documents and Settings\Vladimír\Dokumenty\Dropbox\My Dropbox\X-RedNotebook

This indeed could be the problem: in general, user folders (i.e. under C:\Documents and Settings\UserName) should be avoided to use X-Programs (or portabilized programs) from. The reason is that, often, during program execution, the settings (for a correct program execution) can be copied under these folders and this could conflict with the program. So, choosing paths other than user folders (or, also, Windows folder) is a good general rule...

vldmr ha scritto ...

Is there any way I can make the program work even with the long path? Otherwise I will just move my dropbox folder to C:\ which is not a problem.. I'm just asking because I'm curious what is causing it and how to fix it.

I think that, under above conditions, you could use paths as long as Windows allows...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
zandet2
lun 11 lug 2011 - 20:57

Utente registrato #3184
Registrato il: mar 06 mar 2007 - 11:52
Hi vldmr,
it's really strange 'cause I've tried with a long path like yours, and it worked fine for me...

Here is my log
Spoiler:

Which kind of operative system are you using?
Maybe there is some limitations on your desktop?
Torna ad inizio pagina
vldmr
lun 11 lug 2011 - 21:56
Utente registrato #39972
@ZoZione: thanks for the info, i've moved my dropbox somewhere else so I won't worry about it any more

@zandet2: I'm running win xp sp3 as a admin user and I'm not aware of any limitations on my desktop, I guess it's all just on default settings. It certainly is strange, but that's how computers work sometime - unpredictable magic
Torna ad inizio pagina

Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF