Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
Changing X-Launcher icons

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
sl23
Wed 30 Dec 2015 - 20:13

Registered Member #39172

Hi, I have tried several apps to do this and none seem to work. Looking at the X-Launcher.exe in ResurceHacker shows the IconGroup 161:2057 icons as follows:
16 × 16 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 1
32 × 32 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 2
48 × 48 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 3
64 × 64 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 4
128 × 128 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 5

Yet when I use this app to change the icons to suit my chosen app, in this case KnobMan, which I'm simply doing for test purposes, icons are in reverse order so their Ordinal Name is backwards compared to the original WPP ones:
128 × 128 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 1
64 × 64 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 2
48 × 48 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 3
32 × 32 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 4
16 × 16 (16.8mil colors) - Ordinal name: 5

Does this reverse order matter when X-Launcher displays icons in Windows? I can't get it to work! If so, how do I reorder the icons? The apps I've tried don't work, nothing seems to work!!! Well, one app worked but it seems to only save the icon change within Windows itself and NOT the X-Launcher.exe.

Also, how do you change the name of the exe? I don't mean in Windows, but rather when the app is added to PortableAppsMenu, for example, it shows winPenPack X-Launcher instead of the WindowsFileName.

Please help...

Thanks

Scott

[ Edited Thu 31 Dec 2015 - 00:46 ]
Nuvolari
Thu 31 Dec 2015 - 09:46

Registered Member #4173
Hi sl23,

you should use AutoIt to compile your full personalized x-launcher.exe
Here a tutorial (in italian ) -Link-

You also need to download the x-launcher source -Link- and play with x-compiler.au3
sl23
Mon 04 Jan 2016 - 15:22

Registered Member #39172
Thanks for the reply Nuvolari, don't suppose there's english translation available?
Taf
Tue 05 Jan 2016 - 08:48

Registered Member #251
Hi sl23,
I made a very quick translation for You, have a look if can help...

-Link-
Nuvolari
Tue 05 Jan 2016 - 08:55

Registered Member #4173
Taf wrote ...

Hi sl23,
I made a very quick translation for You, have a look if can help...

-Link-
I was going to try to do the same, happy that you have been faster!
sl23
Tue 12 Jan 2016 - 18:28

Registered Member #39172
Hmm... First I must thank you for your help, though I'm somewhat confused! You said in order to change the X-Launcher icons I must download the source code and recompile in AutoIT. But I have just noticed this comment on the page you linked to:
Moreover, if You want to modify file infos (icon, author, etc...) You must use Resource Hacker.

So, can I just use Resource Hacker instead? If so, I'm back to my original question, does it matter that the OrdinalNames are reverse numbered?

I imagine using AutoIT would avoid all issues with regards to icons? Then maybe I should just learn to do that instead? Though I am still stuck! Do I simply replace the X-icon in the graphics folder with my own and then recompile X-Launcher? Is it really that simple? Are there any specifications that need to be followed with regards to icon sizes included, etc?

I'm not a programmer, so this is all new to me, the page linked to isn't explaining anything I can understand, at least not with regards to my original question.

Thanks again for your help.
Nuvolari
Wed 13 Jan 2016 - 11:15

Registered Member #4173
I have just tested Resource Hacker 4.2.5 changing the icon to an X-software (X-7zip) in Windows 7.
I have replaced the n.1 (of 12 icons) only, by selecting a random file.ico of my own.
It looks working: X-7zip.exe shows the new icon and the software works properly.

Are you using the last version of RH?

P.S.: yes, AutoIt-SciTe is easy and fast to use (once got friendly) and more powerful or at least it does 'clean' changes... I have just checked I'm using an old version (3.2.12.1) which may fit properly with the tutorial (new ones may not)
Taf
Wed 13 Jan 2016 - 15:51

Registered Member #251
Thanks to Nuvolari for the support!
I'm not able to help you more than this, because I'm not a programmer too.
sl23
Thu 21 Jan 2016 - 00:38

Registered Member #39172
Taf wrote ...

Thanks to Nuvolari for the support!
I'm not able to help you more than this, because I'm not a programmer too.

No Problem, thanks for trying, I really appreciate it

Nuvolari wrote ...

I have just tested Resource Hacker 4.2.5 changing the icon to an X-software (X-7zip) in Windows 7.
I have replaced the n.1 (of 12 icons) only, by selecting a random file.ico of my own.
It looks working: X-7zip.exe shows the new icon and the software works properly.

Are you using the last version of RH?

P.S.: yes, AutoIt-SciTe is easy and fast to use (once got friendly) and more powerful or at least it does 'clean' changes... I have just checked I'm using an old version (3.2.12.1) which may fit properly with the tutorial (new ones may not)

Using RH v 4.2.5.
I tried changing the icons but on renaming the exe it reverts to the default winpenpack icon??? Whilst looking for other apps and ways of changing icons, I noticed one app claimed to do this by changing the actual exe instead of just changing it in the registry. Basically telling windows to show a different icon, like file associations I suppose. Therefore giving the illusion the icon has changed yet it remains the same but windows shows a different one.

As I said above, I don't understand the tutorial? It doesn't explain anything, there aren't any instructions of any kind that I could make out anyway?! I opened the file in a text editor and can't make any sense of it at all. Can you help any further?

That said, I'm happy to use RH if that is actually changing the exe and NOT just the registry.

Thanks for your help

Scott
Nuvolari
Thu 21 Jan 2016 - 09:22

Registered Member #4173
Please, tell me exactly which app-icon are you trying to change using Resource Hacker (is it an X-launcher or winPenPackNet.exe?), I will try to reproduce your case.

About AutoIt3, I write in few steps how to compile an X-launcher:

1) download AutoIt3 -Link- , unpack it, it should already contain SciTe subfolder (can't remember), if not get it from -Link- (SciTE4AutoIt3_Portable.zip)
2) download -Link- and unpack into a folder named X-Launcher_source
3) run .\AutoIt3\SciTe\SciTE.exe
4) open x-compiler.au3 from X-Launcher_source
5) move your x-icon.ico into subfolder .\graphics, by default it's wPP icon
6) in SciTe click on Tools\Compile (Ctrl+F7)\Compile Script
7) your brand new X-launcher.exe is created in the main directory X-Launcher_source having icon = x.icon.ico

By playing with the lines of the code in x-compiler.au3 you may choose icon, product name, product version, etc.

Hope this helps

P.S.: if you run into issues using old Windows OS with the latest AutoIt 3.3.x version, try with the 3.2.12.1 -Link-

Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF