Signup
Links
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   
Screamer

Author Post
fcarson
Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 11:58
Registered Member #35890

I see that you indicate that Screamer Radio is Open-Source. It would like to know how to verify that. I would be wonderful if Screamer is Open-Source but I can't find any mention on the Screamer site. I cannot find a link to the source code anywhere and they are not at SourceForge or Google Code. Whats more, there are threads in the Screamer forum asking that it be made Open-Source so others could contribute but nobody from the project replied. I am an Open-Source evangelist and it is all I use so I would love access to a portable radio streamer.
I wish to say that I highly respect the work you are doing here and no other entity I know of has done more to bring Open-Source to the portable community.
Taf
Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 16:43

Registered Member #251
Hi fcarson,
in fact the license of screamer radio is not so clear and very short:

Screamer Radio - License, updated 20070120
Copyright (c) 2003, Steamcore
-Link-
-Link-

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, not including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

In our download page is written:
Licenza Software/Software License: Freeware/Open Source

Freeware is referred to screamer radio
Open Source is referred to lame and other dlls used in the original Screamer package

in fact the Source code of Screamer radio is NOT available anywhere at the moment, but the short license says:
Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, not including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely

If You see we are not in compliance with this license, please explain your dubts here.
We want to be 100% in compliance with licensing of softwares redistributed in "X" version, as portable.

Many thanks for Your help

[ Edited Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 16:47 ]
Danix
Tue 01 Sep 2009 - 20:44

Registered Member #1
We had a confirmation by Screamer author that the program is Freeware.
I have changed the license info in download page -Link- (thank you, fcarson, for reporting).

However, the X-Screamer distribution is in agreement with program's license, therefore it will remain in our download section as "X-Software" (at least for now), but it will be removed from winPenPack suites, because they contain only open source software.

Screamer license This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, not including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

[ Edited Tue 01 Sep 2009 - 20:56 ]
Website

Moderators: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF