Link
<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
Gnucash Portability

Autore Messaggio
jlajla
sab 10 mag 2008 - 03:19
Utente registrato #11035
Registrato il: sab 10 mag 2008 - 02:31

I noticed that the forum at portablefreeware.com is having a discussion about the portability of your Gnucash implementation. Admittedly one of the participants is a user named americain who seems to mostly just to want to contradict everyone. His latest post is a good example since it contains no information other than his claim that your Gnucash is not portable. I like your methods and I like Gnucash but I need portability so I am wondering if you know what this bozo americain is talking about. Thanks.
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
sab 10 mag 2008 - 12:41

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi jlajla, welcome to our forum!
Thank you for this information; usually, I visit PortableFreeware (both the site and the forum...), but in these last days I have few free time, and this time is all dedicated to winPenPack...
I don't know who is the person you are talking about, and I don't care... but he is right
Just last week we discovered that latest version of X-GnuCash suffer of a little problem about absolute paths (every program who uses absolute paths is not very suitable for portabilization...). Of course, we are working for fixing this problem as soon as possible. If you want help us for testing, plese check this thread -Link- and try to add to X-Gnucash.ini the rows indicated in second post of Danix.
We are always hardly working for making programs portable, and for doing it as best as possible. Obviously, we are also human, so some mistake could even happen, but, with users support and help we are sure that these situations will become a remote remember...
Best Regards
ZioZione

[ Modificato sab 10 mag 2008 - 12:52 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
sab 10 mag 2008 - 13:33

Utente registrato #1
Registrato il: ven 29 dic 2006 - 05:38
Hi jlajla, welcome to winPenPack

I have already fixed the bug related to absolute paths, but now I have noticed another bug: Online Banking doesn't work, beacause I have forgotten to create/export registry entries in configuration file.
Now, I have fixed it (I hope).
I'll upload the new release (rev3) as soon as I can.
Meanwhile, you can test the release presents in our download section replacing the new X-GnuCash.ini file (view attached file).

Please note: some components of Gnucash (online banking) works only with administrative rigths, beacause write settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

x-gnucash.zip
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
ZioZione
sab 10 mag 2008 - 18:26

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi jlajla,
Danix is absolutely right. I don't use GnuCash, so, after your signalling, I downloaded it and tested it, just for discover that it was already fixed...
By the way: in my above post I forgot to mention that americain did not proved at all its declarations... What X-GnuCash version did it tested for saying that it was not portable? How did it find some non-portability bugs? Why did it not signal them to us? I don't want to think it was simply "versus winPenPack programs", but surely its post was very poor of informations... I think that such posts are simply polemical, without any intention to help to improve X-Programs, so I simply ignore them... And, please, you too...

Please, test also the new .ini file, so you can confirm us that is all ok. Thank you for your support!
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
sab 10 mag 2008 - 20:26

Utente registrato #1
INI [rev4]
x-gnucash.zip

Fixes the gtk-2.0 folder creation in %APPDATA% and the .recently-used.xbel file creation in %USERPROFILE%
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
jlajla
sab 10 mag 2008 - 22:12
Utente registrato #11035
Registrato il: sab 10 mag 2008 - 02:31
Hello all and thanks for the welcome. I have been kindly welcomed as jallaj before but I didn't know much about you then so I was cautious and used a temp mailbox so I could not request my password when I forgot it. You can just delete the jallaj id.

I have been testing Gnucash and it seems fine now. I will advise of anything I turn up.

I don't know who americain is either and I probably care even less than you. Anyone who posts a bait driven one line negative response with no other information is just spoiling for a fight, not trying to help.

Yes, we all make mistakes but you folks make very few. You are doing the best work in the portable world bar none. Your environment and approach can only be beat by something like thinstall which costs a fortune and so leaves most people out. You are bringing top notch work to the world and anyone interested in portability owes you a debt of gratitude. Times are tight for me at the moment but when I can I will contribute. In the meantime I always click on every Google ad on your site hoping hit counts get some revenue.

Thanks for the X-Launcher tutorial. It's great.

One last comment. I have been using X-Opera since the false positive virus problem in Operausb. Even though it wasn't a virus if virus software quarantines it and kills your program it should be fixed, particularly since the fix is just to upx the operausb exe file. X-Opera is better anyway except that any widgets used are not portable. I have been looking at the problem but have found no solution yet. The X-Opera launcher looks to be doing everything right so the answer is eluding me.
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
sab 10 mag 2008 - 23:08

Utente registrato #1
--------------
OFF TOPIC
--------------

jlajla ha scritto ...

X-Opera is better anyway except that any widgets used are not portable. I have been looking at the problem but have found no solution yet. The X-Opera launcher looks to be doing everything right so the answer is eluding me.

Now widgets are portable

Add this code to X-Opera.ini

[StringReplace=$ExeDir$\profile\widgets\widgets.dat]
"preserve">|widgets=$ExeDir$\profile\

[ Modificato sab 10 mag 2008 - 23:09 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web

Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF