<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
X-Iron and adblocking

Vai a pagina   <<      
Autore Messaggio
jaz
mar 22 feb 2011 - 23:36
Utente registrato #39650
Registrato il: gio 17 feb 2011 - 19:21
This is soooo cool! I am now typing from X-Iron, version 7.0.520.1, and have the ask me cookie prompt option working! It wouldn't let me in this site unless i allowed it after i was asked...lol. I love it. I have my most frequently visited places in my toolbar, and have fanboys adblocking site there, and i have even managed to update the x-iron adblock.ini file!

It took quite a bit of fiddling around to get it all set up, but it works. The only thing i have left to figure out is how to get my bookmarks into X-Iron, and my work will be complete. Well, i still need to discover the whole winpenpack suite, but i just wanted mainly for now to get this working the same way Iron does.

If anybody knows how i can do this, please let me know, and if you guys have any questions about how i did this, ( you probably already know how, since this is your X-iron, and your much more familiar with portable apps than I am.)

But i had to learn by trial and error to get this older version with my oh, so precious cookie prompter...lol. This is my 1st time using any portable app, as i have said before, that's why it took so much figuring out myself. By the way, anyone who visits the Iron site will see another member giving me some crap...just ignore it. He's a very helpful member there, but has a bad temper and is fond of chrome, and resents me for posting chromes shady privacy practices.

[ Modificato gio 24 feb 2011 - 23:48 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Taf
mer 23 feb 2011 - 09:25

Utente registrato #251
Registrato il: lun 22 gen 2007 - 10:12
jaz ha scritto ...

SNIP
The only thing i have left to figure out is how to get my bookmarks into X-Iron, and my work will be complete. Well, i still need to discover the whole winpenpack suite, but i just wanted mainly for now to get this working the same way Iron does.
If anybody knows how i can do this, please let me know....
SNIP

Quite easy:
first of all You need to know where installed version of Iron is storing your old "bookmarks" file:
I know You have Win7, so Your path would be more or less this
c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\
(where "YOURUSERNAME" is variable)

and the file You need is simply called "Bookmarks" (without extension).

Now, with both programs (Iron and X-Iron) closed, go in your old profile of IRON and copy the file "bookmarks" into Your new X-Iron profile
the "X-Iron" profile is stored here:
YOUR_X-IRON_FOLDER\User\Iron\Default\
(where "YOUR_X-IRON_FOLDER" is variable)

copy here your old "bookmarks" file and overwrite the existing one

that's it!

easier to do than explain

---EDIT---

Please note:
The "default" folder is your complete personalized profile.
So, if You copy the whole old "default" folder presente in into your:
c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\

and replace the existing present in:
YOUR_X-IRON_FOLDER\User\Iron\

you will have your previous cofiguration ready to use in X-Iron

Be careful: before overwrite anithing make a previous backup copy of original data (prevention is better than remedy )

[ Modificato mer 23 feb 2011 - 09:35 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
jaz
mer 23 feb 2011 - 20:50
Utente registrato #39650
Registrato il: gio 17 feb 2011 - 19:21
Thank you so much Taf! I very much appreciate your help! This is getting more fun as i learn more here! By the way, i learned that Iron can't do anything about the" --enable-cookie-prompt" option, as it is hard coded into chrome. So i have been directed by another member to the chrome forum thread, where MANY people are complaining and petitioning chrome to give us back the cookie prompt!

I have made a thread about how to do it, it's very easy, and Iron was good enough to post my post. Chrome has to be the one to roll out a new version with the cookie prompt hard coded in, so Iron can use the base code and just remove the tracking features of chrome. I included the link and directions on how to create a gmail account there for people that don't have a chrome account, that is needed to post in threads. You don't have to give them your email address either! Lol.
You can see my post there if you go to irons site and follow my link.

Thanks again Taf!
------------
edit
Hahaha...finally! I did it! It took me quite a few tries, Taf, i followed your directions to the letter, (or so i thought), until i finally did it right! I am now typing from X-iron portable, complete with all my bookmarks, and... my beloved cookie prompt! You would not believe how i feel right now! i LOVE you guys! Don't mind me...I'm just very, very happy i finally accomplished all this.

i have learned a lot from you guys, and i have just started! Now i have the whole winpenpack package to learn how to incorporate into my existing, scattered files on my usb drive...lol. It will be fun though. I am learning that it all looks pretty complicated until you actually do it and see how easy it is! (Once I find the right way)...:D

Thank you so very much...wow...so awesome. and this is just the beginning! Dam!

[ Modificato mer 23 feb 2011 - 23:17 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina

Vai a pagina   <<      
Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF