X-jEdit - Any Updates

Vai a pagina       >>  
Autore Messaggio
Skeeve
mar 26 feb 2013 - 22:41
Utente registrato #41192
Registrato il: lun 25 feb 2013 - 10:25

Hi!

I'm using jEdit for years now. Some months ago my boss discovered portableApps and is now promoting it in our team. Unfortunately they don't have jEdit and so I came across winPenPack's version of X-jEdit.

Fortunately it seems to blend in to portableApps and so I could use it.

But now I'm wondering how I could update to a more recent version of jEdit. I'd like to put work into it to make that happen - if I can - but I think someone needs to give me a bit of guidance.

I already looked into the documentation for X-Launcher but don't quite understand everything I find in the X-jEdit.ini, most prominently: the <<RE>> lines and how to set $Java$.

While it's great that Java is automatically downloaded, I'd also like to be able to use the portableApps Java (or any other Java) when it is available.

Lastely I think I need to know how to add additional files to be localized to other driveletters. For exa,ple: I'm using the ProjectViewer Plugin and here we have a massive amount of filenames which need to be mapped to other drives.

Any help and hint would be very much appreciated!
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mer 27 feb 2013 - 13:27

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi Skeeve, welcome to our forum!
just a quick answer to point you out toward the correct direction...
Skeeve ha scritto ...

Hi!

I'm using jEdit for years now. Some months ago my boss discovered portableApps and is now promoting it in our team. Unfortunately they don't have jEdit and so I came across winPenPack's version of X-jEdit.

Fortunately it seems to blend in to portableApps and so I could use it.

But now I'm wondering how I could update to a more recent version of jEdit. I'd like to put work into it to make that happen - if I can - but I think someone needs to give me a bit of guidance.

The best thing you can do is to use our WinPenPackNet Menu -Link- , which integrates also this feature.

Skeeve ha scritto ...

I already looked into the documentation for X-Launcher but don't quite understand everything I find in the X-jEdit.ini, most prominently: the <> lines and how to set $Java$.

While it's great that Java is automatically downloaded, I'd also like to be able to use the portableApps Java (or any other Java) when it is available.

Also in this case, you can use wPPNet Menu, which embeds a folder structure that X-JEdit recognize for correctly check and install a new Java version when available.

Skeeve ha scritto ...

Lastely I think I need to know how to add additional files to be localized to other driveletters. For exa,ple: I'm using the ProjectViewer Plugin and here we have a massive amount of filenames which need to be mapped to other drives.

Any help and hint would be very much appreciated!

For this last point I must to investigate more deeply, because I don't use X-JEdit, nor that plugin...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
Skeeve
mer 27 feb 2013 - 19:34
Utente registrato #41192
Hi ZioZione!

Thanks for your reply, but I think, I didn't make clear what I need.

winPenPackMenu doesn't help me. I already have the portableApps Menu and winPenPack's X-jEdit (seems to) work perfectly with that.

It's just that I want to tweak it a bit so that I can use another Java. The one which is already available through portableApps as I already need that for OpenOffice.

And I'd like to use a newer jEdit.

And I'd like to tweak it to look into other files for rewriting the drive letters.

Last but not least: I will give back my tweaks to winPenPack. I think it would be useful to have the ability to use plugins too.

[ Modificato mer 27 feb 2013 - 22:05 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mer 27 feb 2013 - 22:05

Utente registrato #74
Hi Skeeve,
Skeeve ha scritto ...

Hi ZioZione!

Thanks for your reply, but I think, I didn't make clear what I need.

oh, yes, you did...
I simply stated the best usage of X-JEdit with a portable menu...

Skeeve ha scritto ...

winPenPackMenu doesn't help me. I already have the portableApps Menu and winPenPack's X-jEdit (seems to) work perfectly with that.

Sorry but I don't agree about that. X-JEdit (and also all others X-Software) has been designed to best integrate with winPenPackNet menu, where all Java X-Programs can share a single Java installation; so I think that the correct answer is that you dont want to use it...

Skeeve ha scritto ...

It's just that I want to tweak it a bit so that I can use another Java. The one which is already available through portableApps as I already need that for OpenOffice.

X-Launcher can use Java installed on your PC, or also Java installed into X-JEdit \Lib\Java subfolder, so if you want to use another one, you must edit X-JEdit.ini file. Under [FileToRun] you can find PathToExe=$Java$\bin\javaw.exe; you can substitute "$Java$" with the (possibly relative) path of another Java copy; you must also comment out (i.e. prepend with a semicolon char) or delete the row "Java=true" in the [Options] section. This is a crap, but if you don't want to use wPPNet menu, this is the price to pay...

Skeeve ha scritto ...

And I'd like to use a newer jEdit.

Just today a new version has been released: enjoy!

Skeeve ha scritto ...

And I'd like to tweak it to look into other files for rewriting the drive letters.

Also in this case, the simpler method is to save your documents under X-JEdit \Documents subfolder. All paths will be normalized accordingly with the drive letter.

Best Regards
ZioZione
P.S. Sorry if I have not been of much help, but I think that if you need to know the best usage of a portable software with PA menu, this is not the best place where search into...
Torna ad inizio pagina
Taf
gio 28 feb 2013 - 08:04

Utente registrato #251
Registrato il: lun 22 gen 2007 - 10:12
ZioZione ha scritto ...

Hi Skeeve,
-- SNIPPED MESSAGE --
P.S. Sorry if I have not been of much help, but I think that if you need to know the best usage of a portable software with PA menu, this is not the best place where search into...

I agree!

[ Modificato gio 28 feb 2013 - 19:36 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Skeeve
gio 28 feb 2013 - 17:45
Utente registrato #41192
Taf ha scritto ...

ZioZione ha scritto ...

Hi Skeeve,
-- SNIPPED MESSAGE --

I agree!

This was the only place I could think of.

You see: I have no choice. If the boss wants portableApps, who am I to object? And just because I want one single program.

Anyway… Thanks for your replies. We'll see what will be the result…

[ Modificato gio 28 feb 2013 - 19:37 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Taf
gio 28 feb 2013 - 19:35

Utente registrato #251
Registrato il: lun 22 gen 2007 - 10:12
Skeeve ha scritto ...

This was the only place I could think of.
You see: I have no choice. If the boss wants portableApps, who am I to object? And just because I want one single program.

Why don't You ask directly to Papps staff? Maybe they can help you....

Skeeve ha scritto ...

Anyway… Thanks for your replies. We'll see what will be the result…

YW I hope you can solve your issues.
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
gio 28 feb 2013 - 20:30

Utente registrato #39636
Registrato il: mar 15 feb 2011 - 23:47
@Skeeve:

I would rather say that the real reason for your negative attitude is the fact that you are not really ready to use the winPenPack Net menu. It is of course quite possible to use both menus together (PA.com menu as well as winPenPack Net menu). A particular advantage is the fact, that you can use some important features with the winPenPack menu, which are currently not available in the PA.com menu. For example you can use file associations as well as associations to protocols (http, https, ftp) with the winPenPack Net menu. Such a possibility you can't use in the current PA.com menu. Therefore, you should reconsider your attitude again.

[ Modificato gio 28 feb 2013 - 20:32 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Skeeve
ven 01 mar 2013 - 09:14
Utente registrato #41192
dropper ha scritto ...

@Skeeve:

I would rather say that the real reason for your negative attitude is the fact that you are not really ready to use the winPenPack Net menu. It is of course quite possible to use both menus together

Sure. But you're right: I don't like the idea of having to have 2 menus.

dropper ha scritto ...

(PA.com menu as well as winPenPack Net menu). A particular advantage is the fact, that you can use some important features with the winPenPack menu, which are currently not available in the PA.com menu. For example you can use file associations as well as associations to protocols (http, https, ftp) with the winPenPack Net menu. Such a possibility you can't use in the current PA.com menu. Therefore, you should reconsider your attitude again.

I didn't miss it yet.

Okay…

Let's see what I need from any portable apps:

• FireFox
  • Some Command Prompt for Integration of StrawberryPerl
  • Putty
  • pAgeant
  • plink
  • OpenOffice
  • Gimp
  • WireShark

All the other Stuff I "integrated" myself or stole from you:
  • jEdit
  • Greenshot
  • Cygwin
  • QuickREx
  • SoapUI

Will have to check what wPP offers in regards to that.
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
sab 02 mar 2013 - 11:55

Utente registrato #74
Hi Skeeve,
first of all, I must to excuse with you to have been so "rude" in my first post I still find hard to understand who, despite he needs portability for its programs, does not use our menu...
Skeeve ha scritto ...

dropper ha scritto ...

@Skeeve:

I would rather say that the real reason for your negative attitude is the fact that you are not really ready to use the winPenPack Net menu. It is of course quite possible to use both menus together

Sure. But you're right: I don't like the idea of having to have 2 menus.

In fact you would not need two menus to perform what you said: X-JEdit (as all X-Programs you can find here in our site) can be use also as standalone program, i.e. without having a menu from which executing it. In that case, you must to check by yourself for upgrades and you should install (as X-JEdit should have asked to you at its very first run) Java into its \Bin\Java subfolder, but after this action X-JEdit become absolutely standalone and independent from each other programs installed onto your hard disk, asking you to upgrade Java when a new release become available. The convenience of winPenPackNet menu is that it centralize the \Lib folder management (i.e. all X-Programs who need Java can share a single \Lib\Java installation, and so on for other libraries), but if you use a single Java X-Programs this is not so crucial.

I don't know how you manage your portable programs (in a folder of your hard disk, with a subfolder for each program, in a pendrive or external hard disk, into the PA menu structure,...), but, for example, in the first case it would be enough to move your standalone copy of X-JEdit into a folder named "X-JEdit" and launch X-JEdit.exe from PA menu (as I think you already do). Obviously, you will not have upgrades notifications, programs associations, etc. and also you will have a second copy of Java (but, in this last case, that automatically checks, downloads and installs Java upgrades into \Lib\Java).

Skeeve ha scritto ...

dropper ha scritto ...

(PA.com menu as well as winPenPack Net menu). A particular advantage is the fact, that you can use some important features with the winPenPack menu, which are currently not available in the PA.com menu. For example you can use file associations as well as associations to protocols (http, https, ftp) with the winPenPack Net menu. Such a possibility you can't use in the current PA.com menu. Therefore, you should reconsider your attitude again.

I didn't miss it yet.

Okay…

Let's see what I need from any portable apps:

• FireFox
  • Some Command Prompt for Integration of StrawberryPerl
  • Putty
  • pAgeant
  • plink
  • OpenOffice
  • Gimp
  • WireShark

All the other Stuff I "integrated" myself or stole from you:
  • jEdit
  • Greenshot
  • Cygwin
  • QuickREx
  • SoapUI

Will have to check what wPP offers in regards to that.

Please feel free to browse our archive, and if you have some particular needs we could also discuss about possible portatilizations.
And, as a last hint, at least at your home, give a try to our menu: maybe you could like it and you could also show it to your boss for let him change its opinion
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina

Vai a pagina       >>  
Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF