<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
Linux and MAC

Vai a pagina       >>  
Autore Messaggio
jlajla
mar 03 giu 2008 - 09:34
Utente registrato #11035
Registrato il: sab 10 mag 2008 - 02:31

Your software almost runs in Linux and on MAC's under wine. In most cases the software loads and functions but it is quite odd. Let's take X-WinSCP for example. The first time it is run an error displays then hitting the ok button allows the software to run. This is where it gets wierd. The next time the software is run the error is not displayed. The third time and every other odd numbered try displays the error. Even numbered tries are error free. The error for X-WinSCP is as follows:

Line 0 (File
"F:\wine-programs\W-WinSCP_4.1.3-beta_rev9\X=Winscp.exe"):

$oDir = $0ShellApp.NameSpace ($imgDir)
$oDir = $0ShellApp^ERROR

Error: Variable must be of type "Object".

Ubuntu Linux (or derivatives) will be shipping on all Dell machines third quarter this year and the worlds largest private employer, Walmart, will also have two Ubuntu based devices. Wine is a standard part of Ubuntu and most other major Linux distributions. Wine is also readily available for the MAC's. Many portable apps run perfectly in Wine but you and John Haller have the really good stuff and his methods are very poor.

If it's not too big a fix it ought be worth looking into.
Torna ad inizio pagina
jlajla
sab 07 giu 2008 - 01:19
Utente registrato #11035
Hello again,

I have been working with your apps in Linux and on a MAC and if I set splash to false then many apps run flawlessly under Wine and since Wine is not an emulator but another shell the apps run as fast as native Linux apps.. Most notably, OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Abiword to name a few.

My roadblock is a familiar one; Opera. Opera works fine also except for Spellcheck of course. In order to make the winPenPack software work the full file structure doesn't funtion properly so the apps must be extracted to individual folders. Your spellcheck addition to the ini file works perfectly until I move the app to a folder like \apps\opera. I have the Aspell folder in \apps\opera\Lib basically like before but Opera never finds it.

I have tried different variables but at this point I have an absolute path in for troubleshooting. The spellcheck section is:

;(GNU aspell support)
[WriteToReg=$Home$\$AppName$\$AppName$_5.reg]
MainKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Aspell
@=\apps\opera\Lib\Aspell|\\"
"Path"=\apps\opera\Lib\Aspell\bin|\\"

I hope this peaks your interest a bit and you have some advise. Thanks in advance.
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
sab 07 giu 2008 - 09:50

Utente registrato #1
Registrato il: ven 29 dic 2006 - 05:38
Hi jlajla,

where you have placed X-Opera.exe and related X-Opera.ini?

perhaps apps\X-Opera.exe?

What is the exact structure?

[ Modificato sab 07 giu 2008 - 09:53 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
jlajla
sab 07 giu 2008 - 23:28
Utente registrato #11035
Happy to oblige. Wine will assign a drive letter just as in windows so the tree is:

F: -
....apps -
...........opera - X-Opera.exe, X-Opera.ini
...................Backups
...................Bin
...................Lib -
........................Aspell
...................User

Thanks for the help.

Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
sab 07 giu 2008 - 23:33

Utente registrato #1
Sorry but I don't understand..
Is the Opera Folder in \Bin Folder?

Please, post your ini here and a screenshot of the EXACT structure.

[ Modificato sab 07 giu 2008 - 23:33 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
jlajla
dom 08 giu 2008 - 00:56
Utente registrato #11035
The screen shot is too big so I hope this pdf will do.
operatree.pdf.zip
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
dom 08 giu 2008 - 01:10

Utente registrato #1
The structure seems a normal X-Software structure.
Sorry, but I don't know wine on Linux..

Are registry entries written as on a Windows system?

Doesn't work the section of the "normal" ini for Windows?

;(GNU aspell support)
[WriteToReg=$Home$\$AppName$\$AppName$_5.reg]
MainKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Aspell
@=$Lib$\Aspell|\\"
"Path"=$Lib$\Aspell\bin|\\"

Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
jlajla
dom 08 giu 2008 - 05:40
Utente registrato #11035
Wine keeps a windows registry. The original Opera entries and various others work in windows but not Wine. As I mentioned, I am running 11 winPenPack apps in Linux under Wine with no problems at all and I haven't tried very many yet. The only reason some apps like the Gimp don't work is the graphics are not right. I think all these apps should be using the using the winPenPack registry anyway and not the Wine or windows registry, if I understand the workings of winPenPack software correctly. Only this one registry set about aspell is somehow different than the hundreds of others that work fine including the others used by Opera. I uninstalled native linux aspell early on just to be sure of no conflict and I have run ccleaner on the Wine registry.

All this may seem trivial from a windows mind-set but Linux is coming fast and very popular in Europe, particularly eastern Europe. There is no question that Apple is also on the rise. If you are interested, I would be honored to work with you on a side project to bring winPenPack to Wine. This would be a nice feather in your cap and put you ahead of others with less vision. As you may have guessed, I know Linux much better that windows, having used it as my primary working and development OS for over 10 years, so I can do the heavy lifting on the Linux side.

You have several cool packs like wpp-essential so why not a multiple OS compatible wpp-wine?
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
lun 09 giu 2008 - 10:55

Utente registrato #1
If you are interested, I would be honored to work with you on a side project to bring winPenPack to Wine.

Which it is your idea?
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
jlajla
mar 10 giu 2008 - 05:31
Utente registrato #11035
A universal winPenPack that can be used in Windows as now but also usable on any system with Wine installed. Wine is a very active project and is improving very rapidly. Projects like Wine Doors, Ies4Linux, and CrossOver are using Wine to bring a large range of Windows apps to Linux natively including Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, Adobe stuff, etc.

Wine is a standard part of many Linux flavors, particularly the major ones like Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSUSE but if not already installed then easily available. Wine is also readily available on OS X since it is NetBSD and open-source at darwin.org.

It is already not uncommon for someone to have a Mac at home and a Windows PC at work and soon it will be common to have a Windows PC at home and Linux PC at work or vice-versa.

This all begs for a universal solution. You are a lot of the way there now. Your fake registry is perfect for Wine. These apps run now. I did little or no modification to the .ini.

X-Abiword
X-Blender
X-Camstudio
X-Celestia
X-Filezilla
X-Firefox
X-Kompozer
X-OpenOffice
X-Opera
X-PokerTH
X-SciTE
X-Scribus
X-Thunderbird
X-WikidPad
X-WinSCP
winPenPack Launcher

These apps do not run yet.

X-Dia
X-Gimp
X-GnuCash
X-Hydrogen
X-InkScape
X-KCeasy
X-Miranda
X-Paint.net
X-Screamer

This all I have tested so far.

I have four Linux distro's actively running and my son is a programmer and web developer using Mac's. I can vet the programs and contribute Linux programming to the development efforts but you have the AutoIt code and your knowledge covers every aspect of the winPenPack environment and it's manipulation. Together we can produce a collection of apps covering a fully functional range of solutions.

I'm not asking for anything. I don't want to own any of your code. I am considering selling USB memory sticks. With USB 3.0 coming next year it is tempting. If so it might be nice to give software away free with the stick as a selling carrot but I haven't decided on anything. I don't know if I would need your permission for that or not but that's not the point. I really just find the portable app arena interesting because it will soon become something very big and few people realize it yet so one can play around in a very young technological environment. I'm semi-retired and I have the time to have fun and this my kind of fun.

I know this conversation has veered quite a distance from English Support and should probably be continued by e-mail but you asked so I answered. I assume that if you wanted a different form of communication you would have said so. If you send me your address to -eMail- I will reply. I don't wish to publish by primary address here. If you want to continue the discussion here that is fine also.
Torna ad inizio pagina

Vai a pagina       >>  
Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF