<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
Update of JRE doesn't work

Vai a pagina       >>  
Autore Messaggio
dropper
mer 22 ago 2012 - 16:19

Utente registrato #39636
Registrato il: mar 15 feb 2011 - 23:47

I have downloaded the file "jre-7u6-windows-i586.exe" and afterwards I copied this file in the "\Lib\Java\setup" folder. NoW I run a X-Software-J (in my case X-RSSOwl). Unfortunately JavaGet won't be activated. Accordingly no files will extracted in the "winPenPack\Lib\Java\bin" and "winPenPack\Lib\Java\lib" folders. Therefore update of Java is failed.

[ Modificato mer 22 ago 2012 - 16:19 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
dito
mer 22 ago 2012 - 20:19

Utente registrato #11533
Registrato il: sab 31 mag 2008 - 09:32
Just tested (X-RSSOwl), it works without problems.
Ciao
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mer 22 ago 2012 - 21:11

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi dropper,
I tested X-RSSOwl, and I confirm that it works correctly under following scenarios:

1) X-RSSOwl installed in isolation (i.e. not into winPenPack menu folder structure but in a separate folder), no Java into \lib\Java, no setup into \Lib\Java\setup: X-RSSOwl asks you if you want to download Java setup; if you answer "Yes" it downloads and installs Java under \Lib\Java and runs RSSOwl.

2) X-RSSOwl installed in isolation, but with Java installed into \Lib\Java and Java setup present into \Lib\Java\setup: X-RSSOwl asks you if you want to update Java; you must answer "Yes", then wait the Java installation into \Lib\Java, then RSSOwl runs. This second case can be considered equivalent to X-RSSOwl installed into winPenPack menu.

Please keep in mind also that, if Java is already installed into the PC, no questions will be made, but X-RSSOwl simply runs using the installed Java, also if \Lib\Java is empty and/or a Java setup is present into \Lib\Java\setup.

What is your scenario? Tell us more details!

Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
mer 22 ago 2012 - 22:09

Utente registrato #39636
The constellation is in my case as follows:

On my PC exists 2 hard disc drives (C:, D:) and I have installed the winPenPack menu (winPenPack Launcher version: 2.7.66.2335) on the hard disc drive D:. On my PC is locally installed JRE 6 Update 33 and JRE 7 Update 5 is installed into \Lib\Java. As I have already mentioned in my original post, I have copied the file "jre-7u6-windows-i586.exe" into the folder "\Lib\Java\setup" with the aim of updating Java in the folder \Lib\Java. Accordingly, my scenario is equivalent to your described case under No. 2. Now I run X-RssOwl with the aim to perform this update. But it doesn't work!!! With exactly the same method I have on several occasions successfully conducted an update of Java in the past. And everytime X-RSSOwl asks me if I want to update Java.

Therefore I can't confirm your last comment:

ZioZione wrote

Please keep in mind also that, if Java is already installed into the PC, no questions will be made, but X-RSSOwl simply runs using the installed Java, also if \Lib\Java is empty and/or a Java setup is present into \Lib\Java\setup.

[ Modificato mer 22 ago 2012 - 22:12 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
gio 23 ago 2012 - 09:46

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
dropper ha scritto ...

The constellation is in my case as follows:

On my PC exists 2 hard disc drives (C:, D:) and I have installed the winPenPack menu (winPenPack Launcher version: 2.7.66.2335) on the hard disc drive D:. On my PC is locally installed JRE 6 Update 33 and JRE 7 Update 5 is installed into \Lib\Java. As I have already mentioned in my original post, I have copied the file "jre-7u6-windows-i586.exe" into the folder "\Lib\Java\setup" with the aim of updating Java in the folder \Lib\Java. Accordingly, my scenario is equivalent to your described case under No. 2. Now I run X-RssOwl with the aim to perform this update. But it doesn't work!!! With exactly the same method I have on several occasions successfully conducted an update of Java in the past. And everytime X-RSSOwl asks me if I want to update Java.

Therefore I can't confirm your last comment:

ZioZione wrote

in the latest X-Launcher release, JavaGet code has been embedded into X-Launcher and has been updated with new features. One of them is what I wrote above (if Java is already installed in the host PC, is used by all X-Programs-J in place of the \Lib\Java one).
The side effect is that, from a JavaGet point of view, every X-Program-J has become "PC-centric" and no more "winPenpack-centric". This means that, if Java is installed in the host PC, NO ACTION AT ALL is performed from the (ex) JavaGet code, including the Java update from \Lib\Java\setup. Also if \Lib\Java contains a more recent version of Java with respect of the installed one, X-Programs-J still use the installed one.
At this moment, the simpler thing you can do is to uninstall Java fron your PC, run any X-Program-J (performing the update), then reinstall Java on your PC (fortunately, the setup is the same .
The alternative (that I used for testing) is to "play" with the registry (strongly unsuggested); read HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion (i.e. "1.7"); the subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.7\JavaHome contains the Java path (i.e. C:\Program Files\Java\jre7); editing this with whatever you want (i.e. C:\Program Files\Java\jre7_notfound) you can simulate that Java is not installed. Run any X-Program-J to perform the update into \Lib\Java, then restore the Java path into the registry. Please, be careful to use this option!!!
Hope this helps
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
gio 23 ago 2012 - 12:48

Utente registrato #39636
ZioZione wrote

This means that, if Java is installed in the host PC, NO ACTION AT ALL is performed from the (ex) JavaGet code, including the Java update from \Lib\Java\setup.

In fact, your assumption was the cause of my problem. Accordingly I have uninstalled JRE 6 Update 33 from my host PC. If I now run X-RssOwl, a dialog window with the following content appears:

A new version of Java is available. Do you want to upgrade?

After I have clicked at the button "Ok" in this dialog window, the Java update will performed.

ZioZione wrote

At this moment, the simpler thing you can do is to uninstall Java fron your PC, run any X-Program-J (performing the update), then reinstall Java on your PC.

However is your above note contradictory. Because if I reinstall Java on the host PC after performing the update within the winPenPack menu, then every X-Software-J will again use the Java, which is installed on the host PC. Accordingly the update within the winPenPack menu will be needless, because it won't be used by any X-Software-J.

Finally, I have another question. Exists a possibility, how I can detect, which Java version will be used by X-Software-J? In connection with X-Firefox I found a possibility (Paste in the address bar about:config and set plugin.expose_full_path to "true". Now paste in the address bar about:plugins). How can I find out, which Java version is used by X-RssOwl, X-muCommander or another X-Software-J?

[ Modificato gio 23 ago 2012 - 12:51 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
gio 23 ago 2012 - 13:28

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper,
dropper ha scritto ...

ZioZione wrote

This means that, if Java is installed in the host PC, NO ACTION AT ALL is performed from the (ex) JavaGet code, including the Java update from \Lib\Java\setup.

In fact, your assumption was the cause of my problem. Accordingly I have uninstalled JRE 6 Update 33 from my host PC. If I now run X-RssOwl, a dialog window with the following content appears:

A new version of Java is available. Do you want to upgrade?

After I have clicked at the button "Ok" in this dialog window, the Java update will performed.

ZioZione wrote

At this moment, the simpler thing you can do is to uninstall Java fron your PC, run any X-Program-J (performing the update), then reinstall Java on your PC.

However is your above note contradictory. Because if I reinstall Java on the host PC after performing the update within the winPenPack menu, then every X-Software-J will again use the Java, which is installed on the host PC. Accordingly the update within the winPenPack menu will be needless, because it won't be used by any X-Software-J.

sorry, probably I have not read your post carefully...
In fact, if you use winPenPack always from your hard disk AND have Java installed on your PC, you don't need to have Java under \Lib\Java (with the obvious exception of older X-Programs-J that have the old X-Launcher). Also the vice-versa is valid, but not both. So, at this point, you have two alternatives:
1) Java installed on PC: delete \Lib\Java contents; you should just upgrade the installed Java when required.
2) Java not installed on PC: maintain \Lib\Java contents; you should upgrade it copying the Java setup under \Lib\Java\setup and running any X-Program-J.

dropper ha scritto ...

Finally, I have another question. Exists a possibility, how I can detect, which Java version will be used by X-Software-J? In connection with X-Firefox I found a possibility (Paste in the address bar about:config and set plugin.expose_full_path to "true". Now paste in the address bar about:plugins). How can I find out, which Java version is used by X-RssOwl, X-muCommander or another X-Software-J?

All these programs have not been developed with portability purposes in mind, so I don't know if this will be possible.
In any case, minding what I wrote above, if in your PC you will have just ONE Java (installed or \Lib\Java), this question is automagically answered...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
zandet2
gio 23 ago 2012 - 14:48

Utente registrato #3184
Registrato il: mar 06 mar 2007 - 11:52
Hi to everyone,
sorry for my late reply, I was busy trying to find a solution...

Dropper, thanks for the bug reporting.

As ZioZione said, with the latest release (1.5.0) the X-Launcher is now able to recognize if Java is installed on the pc, and use it if Java is not present in the pack (Lib\Java); also, if both installed and pack are present, the more updated between the two is used.

But with this new feature a bug is introduced:
if both Java installed and Java pack are present, the autoupdate is not working anymore...

So, I've made a new version that correct this bug; attached you can find the X-RSSOwl launcher 1.5.1 beta version, please try just replacing the original launcher and ini files (if you can recreate the previous scenario):

x-rssowl-2_launcher_beta.zip

Note: the autoupdate works only if java pack is selected; to know what version is used, check the x-rssowl-2.log file, there is now specific lines for the java path and version.

[ Modificato gio 23 ago 2012 - 15:15 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
gio 23 ago 2012 - 16:34

Utente registrato #39636
I have tested your offered file "x-rssowl-2_launcher_beta.zip". After downloading and extracting of this file, I have copied the files "X-RSSOwl-2.exe" and "X-RSSOwl-2.ini" in the folder XDrive.

For recreation of the previous scenario I have firstly deleted the folders "lib" and "bin" within the folder \Lib\Java. Afterwards I pasted the file "jre-6u34-windows-i586.exe" in the folder \Lib\Java\setup. Now I run X-RssOwl and Java will installed again in the folder \Lib\Java. Finally I have installed JRE 6 Update 34 on my host PC. Therefore I have now installed Java both on my host PC and in the folder \Lib\Java. Now I pasted the file "jre-7u6-windows-i586.exe" in the folder \Lib\Java\setup. Again I run X-RssOwl, but there won't performed an update of Java.

In your post you mentioned the following:

zandet2 wrote

Note: the autoupdate works only if java pack is selected ...

What does that mean exactly?

By the way thank you for the tip looking in the file "rssowl.log" regarding the information about the used Java version.
Torna ad inizio pagina
zandet2
gio 23 ago 2012 - 17:21

Utente registrato #3184
Registrato il: mar 06 mar 2007 - 11:52
dropper ha scritto ...

In your post you mentioned the following:

zandet2 wrote

Note: the autoupdate works only if java pack is selected ...

What does that mean exactly?

You are right, I was a bit "criptic".
It mean that if Java is present both on the host pc and in the "pack" Lib\Java (as in your last test) and the host pc version is more updated, or at least has the same version of the Lib\Java, the X-Launcher prefer to use the installed version just to reach the best performance.
In this case (the use of installed Java) does not activate the Lib\Java update even if you put the setup in the Lib\Java folder. To manage this situation, I have to rewrite the code considering all the problems, like the potential downgrade (what if the setup is older than the Lib\Java version?) and so on; not impossible but difficult.
Torna ad inizio pagina

Vai a pagina       >>  
Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF