<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
User settings safety

Autore Messaggio
crownixx
dom 29 lug 2007 - 09:14
Utente registrato #5530
Registrato il: mer 25 lug 2007 - 03:38

hi, its me again

i know that x-launcher have the mechanism to backup host registry key if exists before it add the portable registry settings. Now i have a question about User setings safety

sorry, this is just an example for the discussion. from danix configuration settings here
-Link-

[Setup]
AppName=Yaps

[FileToRun]
PathToExe=$Bin$ \ $AppName$ \ $AppName$.exe
Parameters=

[Functions]
DirCopy=$Home$ \ $AppName$|@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytes

[RunAfter]
DirMove=@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytes|$Home$ \ $AppName$|o

Let say that one User already install Yaps in his PC. Then he would like to try portable X-Yaps. Dont you think that the configuration in the red can damage the install Yaps? or mybe i'm missing something that x-launcher have here..

mybe it safe if we configure like this. It will backup first the install Yaps settings if exists before we replace the portable settings in appdata

[Functions]
DirMove=@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytes|@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytesBackup

[RunAfter]
DirMove=@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytesBackup|@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytes

Also can somebody tell me about FixAppData?
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
dom 29 lug 2007 - 11:06

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi crownixx,
I think you are right about User settings: if the program is already installed on host PC, then X-Launcher, after execution of X-Program, will destroy (deleting it) any user data about the program. Your suggestion I think will be useful, but, at the same time, we also need to deal with registry...
These settings on .ini files would let them more safe, but also would complicate a lot their setup.
You have to ask to Danix and Tittoproject (the author of X-Launcher) for an option that allow the creator of .ini files to not deal about these tricks, making them transparent (i.e. automatic). Of course, all that will be done, I think, if this will become a real, wide problem...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
Danix
dom 29 lug 2007 - 12:15

Utente registrato #1
Registrato il: ven 29 dic 2006 - 05:38
crownixx ha scritto ...

Let say that one User already install Yaps in his PC. Then he would like to try portable X-Yaps. Dont you think that the configuration in the red can damage the install Yaps? or mybe i'm missing something that x-launcher have here..

mybe it safe if we configure like this. It will backup first the install Yaps settings if exists before we replace the portable settings in appdata

[Functions]
DirMove=@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytes|@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytesBackup

[RunAfter]
DirMove=@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytesBackup|@AppDataDir@ \ SteelBytes

Yes, the reasoning is perfect, and the INI file too
But, we think that X-Software users DON'T INSTALL (never) programs, but only use them on pendrive or Hard Disk without any installation. Than, backup and restore of %APPDATA% settings is not necessary..

For YAPS you can download the last Beta from here -Link- and insert this code in your ini:

[Setup]
AppName=yaps

[FileToRun]
PathToExe=$Bin$\$AppName$\$AppName$.exe
Parameters=-prefs YapsPrefs

You have not to move and replace settings because YapsPrefs is stored directly in $ExeDir$ directory.

crownixx ha scritto ...

In italian language (and computers) an %APPDATA% directory is named
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Dati applicazioni

but in english your %APPDATA% directory is
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data 

With FixAppData you can fix it in your INI file for all users, but, if you utilize the autoit macro, @AppDataDir@, FixAppData is not necessary.

[ Modificato dom 29 lug 2007 - 12:31 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
Sito Web
icemax
dom 29 lug 2007 - 17:20

Utente registrato #194
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 22:27
hi crownixx

please read this :

-Link-

look :

Nome Software: JauntePE
Direct Link al download: -Link-
Dimensione File: 787 KB (806502)
Nome autore: crownixx
eMail autore: -Link-

do you like ... it ??

thanks for this fantastic software
Torna ad inizio pagina
crownixx
dom 29 lug 2007 - 21:09
Utente registrato #5530
Registrato il: mer 25 lug 2007 - 03:38
But, we think that X-Software users DON'T INSTALL (never) programs, but only use them on pendrive or Hard Disk without any installation.

Still there is a possibility that user want both install version in pc and portable version in his pendrive. and we must take care all that and make the portable apps safety as possible. that is my opinion. introduce 2 lines to make backup won't hurt much i think.

but if the software comes with a lot of files, that would lead a problem..like ZioZione said, an option to make backup run in the background can be great..
we have "o" as overwrite option.mybe the put one more option in the FileCopy or DirCopy like "b" for backup. any files or folder in the destination copy will have .back extension. then the extension will be remove at the exit of x-launcher.

hi icemax, thanks for suggesting my AutoWizard here. i really appreciate it
but, a little mistake there..
The author of JauntePE is Redllar..
I'm the author of JPE AutoWizard..it just a simple GUI for the JauntePE commandline..
so actually, Redllar is the one who creating this amazing software..we should thanks him..

I use JPE to capture all the registry and file system. and try to make guess, the next stage i use x-launcher to create my portable based on the JPE capturing element.
that's why i came here..i hope i can learn more about x-launcer

Danix, thanks..finally i understand the use of FixAppData
Torna ad inizio pagina

Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF