<< Discussione precedente | Discussione successiva >>   
X-Tor doesn't work with X-Firefox 5.0.1

Vai a pagina       >>  
Autore Messaggio
dropper
lun 15 ago 2011 - 02:13

Utente registrato #39636
Registrato il: mar 15 feb 2011 - 23:47

According to the instructions regarding X-Tor Portable I have a folder called "Tor-Project" formed, in which I have extracted the two files "X-Tor_0.2.1.30_rev9.zip" and "X-Firefox_5.0.1_rev4.zip". Although I've followed all the steps correctly, however, after the start of "X-Tor.exe" appeared the "Browser not found" error message. Then I tried the browser "X-Firefox 3.6.19_rev18" and it worked flawlessly.

Also, I could not use any Java-enabled website with Tor. Otherwise In my "winPenPack Full" suite was installed by the program JavaGet the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in the Lib\Java folder. Is it advisable, if I create a subfolder named Java within the folder "Lib" (which is included in the folder "Tor-Project")? On the other hand, in my "winPenPack Full" Sute through the program JavaGet was installed a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Could I now copy the both folders named "bin" and "lib" from the Lib\Java folder of the "winPenPack Full" suite into the folder Lib\Java within "Tor Project" folder according to the instructions for "winPenPack and Java"? Or must I use the two folders "bin" and "lib" (included in "C:\Program Files\Java\jreXX") of a normal installation on my PC? Or neither of the two variants works in conjunction with Tor?

[ Modificato lun 15 ago 2011 - 04:11 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
lun 15 ago 2011 - 19:28

Utente registrato #39636
In the meantime, I've found a solution to my problems.

Basically, through the Tor-Button browser plugins like Java, Flash, ActiveX, RealPlayer, Quicktime, Adobe's PDF, etc. blocked. Task of this browser-plugins may be to put your IP address openly, what constitutes a security risk and is contrary to the purpose of the Tor network. In addition, it also requires the Firefox browser in a version compatible with the Torbutton add-on (currently for Firefox 2.0 - 3.7a1pre).

These informations I received from the official Tor's website.

[ Modificato lun 15 ago 2011 - 19:37 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
lun 15 ago 2011 - 19:50

Utente registrato #74
Registrato il: dom 21 gen 2007 - 11:31
Hi dropper,
dropper ha scritto ...

According to the instructions regarding X-Tor Portable I have a folder called "Tor-Project" formed, in which I have extracted the two files "X-Tor_0.2.1.30_rev9.zip" and "X-Firefox_5.0.1_rev4.zip". Although I've followed all the steps correctly, however, after the start of "X-Tor.exe" appeared the "Browser not found" error message. Then I tried the browser "X-Firefox 3.6.19_rev18" and it worked flawlessly.

the latest version of X-Tor has been updated when we decided to differentiate the installations of X-Firefox 3 and X-Firefox 4. So the respective executables were X-Firefox-3 and X-Firefox-4. When X-Firefor 4 was enough diffuse, we return to the old notation "X-Firefox.exe" also for X-Firefox 5.
So X-Tor need a "little" update. Please edit the X-Tor.ini at row 74-75

;(X-Firefox integration)
General|BrowserExecutable=@ScriptDir@\X-Firefox-3.exe|\\

The correct name for the executable should be X-Firefox.exe, so the line should become

;(X-Firefox integration)
General|BrowserExecutable=@ScriptDir@\X-Firefox.exe|\\

From this moment you should be able to use X-Firefox 5 in conjunction with X-Tor.

dropper ha scritto ...

Also, I could not use any Java-enabled website with Tor. Otherwise In my "winPenPack Full" suite was installed by the program JavaGet the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in the Lib\Java folder. Is it advisable, if I create a subfolder named Java within the folder "Lib" (which is included in the folder "Tor-Project")? On the other hand, in my "winPenPack Full" Sute through the program JavaGet was installed a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Could I now copy the both folders named "bin" and "lib" from the Lib\Java folder of the "winPenPack Full" suite into the folder Lib\Java within "Tor Project" folder according to the instructions for "winPenPack and Java"? Or must I use the two folders "bin" and "lib" (included in "C:\Program Files\Java\jreXX") of a normal installation on my PC? Or neither of the two variants works in conjunction with Tor?

Sorry, I don't exactly understand what you mean with "Java-enabled websites"... Could you be more precise and give us some address?
Anyway, from my point of view, "Java-enabled websites" have some web pages containing Java applets, but for navigate them I think there is no need to have Java installed (in the suite or in the guest PC), it should be enough to have installed in X-Firefox the Java plugin... X-Tor.ini does not have any information about Java, so I think that it cannot find Java in any manner, unless it is installed in the guest PC.
But I will be more precise when I will understand exactly your needs...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dropper
lun 15 ago 2011 - 20:59

Utente registrato #39636
ZioZione wrote ...

So X-Tor need a "little" update. Please edit the X-Tor.ini at row 74-75

;(X-Firefox integration)
General|BrowserExecutable=@ScriptDir@\X-Firefox-3.exe|\\

The correct name for the executable should be X-Firefox.exe, so the line should become

;(X-Firefox integration)
General|BrowserExecutable=@ScriptDir@\X-Firefox.exe|\\

From this moment you should be able to use X-Firefox 5 in conjunction with X-Tor.

In fact, I could now use X-Firefox 5.0.1 in conjunction with X-Tor. However, there was no Tor-Button at the bottom right corner of my browser. According Tor was disabled. I also check the following URL https://check.torproject.org , where I get the following massage: Sorry. You are not using Tor.

In my last reply I mentioned, that I found out on the official Tor website, that it also requires the Firefox browser in a version compatible with the Torbutton add-on (currently for Firefox 2.0 - 3.7a1pre). That's why does not work the X-Firefox 5.0.1.

ZioZione wrote ...

Anyway, from my point of view, "Java-enabled websites" have some web pages containing Java applets, but for navigate them I think there is no need to have Java installed ...

Your description concerning "Java-enabled websites" was exactly what I meant. In my last reply I mentioned, that I found out on the official Tor website, that through the Tor-Button browser plugins like Java, Flash, ActiveX, RealPlayer, Quicktime, Adobe's PDF, etc. blocked. Main goal of this browser-plugins may be to put your IP address openly, what constitutes a security risk and is contrary to the purpose of the Tor network.

[ Modificato lun 15 ago 2011 - 21:05 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
dito
lun 15 ago 2011 - 21:48

Utente registrato #11533
Registrato il: sab 31 mag 2008 - 09:32
I confirm that by correcting the X-Tor.ini, integration with X-Firefox 5 does not work.
dropper is probably right; Firefox 5 and Tor are not yet compatible.
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
lun 15 ago 2011 - 21:49

Utente registrato #74
Hi dropper, hi dito,
that's why is a long time I don't longer use Tor and TorButton: personally, I have always found this system too much complex to configure and to use...
Some months ago I wasn't be able to let Tor to work with Firefox 4 or 5, and I had some troubles to visit some blocked sites from my job office, so I found Advanced Onion Router -Link- . AdvOR can intercept the http calls from any executable and redirect them through the Tor network.

I premise that I have never found the time to test it for portability ( but never say never... ), so it could not be suitable for our needs, but it has some interesting pros:
1) No-install: simply download the .zip file, uncompress it in a folder of your choice, execute advor.exe, click the "Connect" button, wait until "Connected to the OR network" text appear.
2) Non need to install TorButton plugin (or other Tor related plugins), and/or to configure: from within AdvOR, in the left menu, simply click to "Intercept|Processes", and check the checkbox related to the executable you want to intercept (in our case "firefox.exe").
3) Simple to use: execute it, check/uncheck the checkbox of "firefox.exe", for start/stop to navigate through the Tor Network, close it, without any other frippery...

Please, keep in mind that its portability has not been already tested (but if you want to do some exercise with X-Regshot, you are welcome ).
Anyway, let me know if this can be an acceptable alternative.
Best Regards
ZioZione

[ Modificato lun 15 ago 2011 - 21:58 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mar 16 ago 2011 - 11:25

Utente registrato #74
Hi to all,
before you (correctly) insult me, I have just tested AdvOR on Vista Home Premium, and the Windows Data Execution Prevention, every time I try to intercept my web browsers with AdvOR, closes them with a system alert. I tried also to disable it -Link- (N.B. is VERY DANGEROUS to do it, so be VERY, VERY careful), but it still does not work.
I hope you will be more lucky...
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
Taf
mar 16 ago 2011 - 11:54

Utente registrato #251
Registrato il: lun 22 gen 2007 - 10:12
Hi all, hi Zio,
my experience with AdvOR isd a little bit more lucky!
I'm using it since a couple of days with X-firefox and X-iron without any issue on a Win7 Pro 64bit machine.
Same behaviour also on a Win7 Ultinate 32bit (my laptop).

---EDIT---
IMPORTANT NOTE: my UAC is DEACTIVATED!

Not testes yet on a XP machine
BTW; I did not tested jet the "real portability" of this proggie.

[ Modificato mar 16 ago 2011 - 12:14 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina
ZioZione
mar 16 ago 2011 - 15:37

Utente registrato #74
Hi Taf,
Taf ha scritto ...

Hi all, hi Zio,
my experience with AdvOR isd a little bit more lucky!
I'm using it since a couple of days with X-firefox and X-iron without any issue on a Win7 Pro 64bit machine.
Same behaviour also on a Win7 Ultinate 32bit (my laptop).

---EDIT---
IMPORTANT NOTE: my UAC is DEACTIVATED!

thank you for your experience. I have read about other cases when under Seven it works corrrectly, also with UAC activated; the UAC should not give any problem, because the real pain is the Data Execution Prevention. And if you try to add "firefox.exe" to the list of the programs for which the DEP should not be enabled, Windows refuse to perform this setting, and say that is impossible
Taf ha scritto ...

Not testes yet on a XP machine

Before you perform other tests, I can say that also under XP Professional (my job PC) AdvOR works correctly.
So, the problem could be just under Vista. I hope that you all already upgrade to Seven (in my home environment I don't need, of course, Tor for navigate anywhere )
Taf ha scritto ...

BTW; I did not tested jet the "real portability" of this proggie.

I performed some informal analysis on the registry and I don't find any meaningful key wrote by AdvOR; also, it seems to use only its own folder to save all its data. So there is a good probability that it could be considered portable. But let's wait for more serious tests
Best Regards
ZioZione
Torna ad inizio pagina
dito
mar 30 ago 2011 - 23:12

Utente registrato #11533
Registrato il: sab 31 mag 2008 - 09:32
AdvOR: tested with X-RegShot on Windows XP.
I think portable. What do you think?
Thanks.

Please see X-RegShot Log file.

advorres.rar

[ Modificato mer 31 ago 2011 - 20:00 ]
Torna ad inizio pagina

Vai a pagina       >>  
Moderatori: Danix, Taf, Rcs, Energy, zandet2, ZioZione, Admin, LordJim60

Salta:     Torna ad inizio pagina

RSS discussione: rss 0.92 RSS discussione: rss 2.0 RSS discussione: RDF